HDMI on/off switch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if such a thing as single-input/single-output HDMI on/off switch exists?

I have a digital cable box that disables the analog video outputs when the HDMI port is connected to a device. When I want to use the analog video output I have to manually unplug the HDMI cable, which is a bit inconvenient.

I'm sure some kind of multi-way HDMI switch could be used, but I would like to use that option as a last resort.

~Thanks

Isolate the problem. Is the thing responding to somethiing electricic at the other end of the cable? Or is it something about the physical plugging in of the connector? Similar in a sense to a boom box whose AC power cord socket has a switch to disconnect the battery circuit.

I don't know about an ON/OFF switch, but if you had an A/B switch, use that and just leave B unused. Then A is On and B is Off.

The HDMI sink device (TV set) should put +5V on the 'hotplug' line to show that it is present. The set-top box is probably using the presence of that +5V to decide that it will no longer put out analogue.
Whether anyone makes a ready-made box to interrupt that signal I have no clue.

Switching off a TV set doesn't really switch off a lot of the cirrcuity in it - which remains active even in standby mode. Unplugging the TV set from the wall should kill its ability to steer the hot-plug HDMI signal.

The HDMI sink device (TV set) should put +5V on the 'hotplug' line to show that it is present. The set-top box is probably using the presence of that +5V to decide that it will no longer put out analogue.
Whether anyone makes a ready-made box to interrupt that signal I have no clue.

Switching off a TV set doesn't really switch off a lot of the cirrcuity in it - which remains active even in standby mode. Unplugging the TV set from the wall should kill its ability to steer the hot-plug HDMI signal.

Exactly, the cable box still knows the HDMI is connected even when the TV is off (standby). Maybe I can just get a small manual AC power switch for the TV. It doesn't seem to upset any of the setting when it gets unplugged.

I think this might all be moot now anyway. The HDMI inputs on the TV seem to have gone dead for some reason. Analog, component, and PC all work, but neither HDMI work now. I connected a PC to the TV (VGA input) for the first time yesterday and that's when they stopped working. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.