Have Software Giants Become Beggars?

My buddy was checking out my computer. It's been slow and balky sometimes. He looked at my task manager and found out it was all google applications running in the background. Google is using 95% of my CPUs and I only get 5% for my own purposes. They stop my computer for sometimes 30 seconds while virtual rapacious vultures quibble over who is going to spam me. And spam me they do.

So-called "protection" services do not recognize google crap as a threat. But google is what's always been wrong with my computer, and it's probably what's been wrong with millions of computers. Their boorish behavior is like a neighbor that borrows your car without permission and brings it back a month later. When in the world did this ever become acceptable?

Wanna fix a lot of that crap? If you use Chrome or others, download and install Privacy Badger. https://privacybadger.org/ It's free and quickly learns what to block. Within a day or three you'll stop accumulating tracking cookies and other junk.

Next, change your DNS addresses to this- https://github.com/Ultimate-Hosts-Blacklist/Ultimate.Hosts.Blacklist It's not the fastest, but it will block ads and all manner of nasty stuff.

Once those are installed, run the free edition of Superantispyware to remove the stuff that's already folllowing you- https://www.superantispyware.com/free-edition.html

Joined 2019
Paid Member
AFAIK TPM has a second OS running calling the US headquarters when it likes.
Biggest concern is that it's been hacked, has vulnerabilities and is harder to patch than Windows because it's not part of Windows. Even with it and full disk encryption your data isn't completely secure.

The message is that there's no way to secure anything and keep it usable at a level the non technical public can use...

1- I do design and build electronic stuff. I have digital control and protection circuits too, but they're TTL and not software based, so they'll work "forever" for free.

I could never build my own cell phone though, certainly not like the products today which I must admit are incredibly powerful and compact. I'm quite attached to my Samsung Galaxy; it's my source for streaming music and one hell of a powerful computer right in my pocket so I pay up.

4- I own all vintage stuff (except what I built) so like my digital circuits there is no software and no subscriptions. I had an enormous AV receiver but predictably it went brain dead (digital control circuit stopped working) so I stripped it and put it back together as a behemoth amplifier with a digital (TTL) control and protection circuit that I designed and built.
I use ESP32's . WLED and my preamp code. ESP's scared me at first , but they have fully encrypted wi-fi connectivity. One can easily run isolated like a
simpler Arduino type , never allowing connectivity .... all the way to controlling the whole party with a phone app.

Back when I worked for Big Silicon, we had this guy on the internal forums that I called (only in my thoughts) the Monetization Rat. He was totally into how many different ways / schemes the company could use against customers to eek out a little extra $, by what was nearly always the subject content of his posts. Absolutely convinced that was THE way to do business going forward. For whom? The shareholders, of course.

Regarding MS, I sincerely doubt I'll ever get past W10 in this lifetime. No persuasive incentive that I can see and I've never been a latest/greatest junkie.

I got a used Brother color laser printer I just put up on Craig's - no shipping. Turned it on, cryptically entered my wifi creds (using three buttons) and it connected to my home network. Just showed up in my laptop's available printer list - and worked. No driver downloads, no new account with username / password. No harassing, bloated application application running 3 different installed threads just to print something. Take that, Sony, HP, Canon.
Always connect the main house network printer as USB to the main house PC (server). I have the brother , and tried to network it wirelessly . I did not like
the traffic I saw within the local network. Most Brothers are natively supported in win 10 (I have a 2270). with a hardware connect , no activity unless the
other dozen devices on the router require a print job.

The message is that there's no way to secure anything and keep it usable at a level the non technical public can use...
That is, anything new. There's value in that old stuff; it may be slow on workloads most will never run, but it's without the attendant cast-in bru-ha-ha MS is expecting for W11.

Always connect the main house network printer as USB to the main house PC (server). I have the brother , and tried to network it wirelessly . I did not like
the traffic I saw within the local network.
The B&W Brother laser I actually use, is connected in exactly that way. I didnt have a look at what the color unit was doing when connected wirelessly. That's for sale. Printers are funny; new - a gazillion $, used in great condition - no value at all to anyone.

Wish IPhones were like that; new - a gazillion $, used with the crap beat out of it by an owner who doesnt care at all about anything they have - still a gazillion $.

The B&W Brother laser I actually use, is connected in exactly that way. I didnt have a look at what the color unit was doing when connected wirelessly. That's for sale. Printers are funny; new - a gazillion $, used in great condition - no value at all to anyone.
Mine was on top of a bin , with a sign "free , take me". Full toner , ream of paper ...Brother model 2270 current network printer. Damn !
No color , but 1K pages at 40$ a toner cartridge is cool.

Great bit of software...
I looked at it, thanks. Was hoping it was a bare metal install, but I'd need to allocate a Windows machine to the task. I had PiHole running on an X86 Atom laptop (capable of nothing else...), but I tore it down and lost the linux server OS SSD it ran on. I recalled you could assign which internal IP address used the filtered NAT list or not, but unsure if you could run separate lists for each IP address. That would do it; LG TV - you only get to see this set of external IPs.

Heh - I'm too lazy to even assign fixed IPs to all the machines in the house and there's only 10 of 'em or so. Someone could drive on up and my router's DHCP would say here ya go! If they could crack the password, which I hear is nothing to do these days. I bet somebody's got country-wide Google Maps of all the wireless routers running DHCP along with cracked passwords, just in case someone needs a free ride for a spell.

I can do worse; one time I had no password at all; figured the house was simply far enough away from anyone else. I remember rigging a special antenna just to get a machine running out within the metal sided garage, about 50 yards away. After I sold the place and moved, the kinda down and out neighbor told me "If it wasnt for you, I wouldnt have had any internet at all". There's always a nose, sniffing around.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I run my own dhcp server, so can control which devices can access the outside world or not, easily.
https://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/
Great bit of software...

It's not hard to do... I run one of my Linux machines as dns, dhcp and apache server.

My router and modem are separate... and I use managed switches.

All wired devices use a static IP address... so I have a network etc/files file that maps DNS. Only the wireless devices use DHCP.

The router implement MAC ADDR based filtering as well.