Haufe RK-736 transformer and Vout dacs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I purchased this transformer for use at Vout of DAC. According to seller it was 750ohm 1:1 transformer. I recently found its datasheet which specifies its impedance as 5K ohm @ 1 khz. I wonder if this higher impedance value degrade the performance of DAC (say AK chip with ~120ohm output impedance).

Datasheet attached. It is German.

Attachments

• RK736.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Hi guys,

I purchased this transformer for use at Vout of DAC. According to seller it was 750ohm 1:1 transformer. I recently found its datasheet which specifies its impedance as 5K ohm @ 1 khz. I wonder if this higher impedance value degrade the performance of DAC (say AK chip with ~120ohm output impedance).

Datasheet attached. It is German.

The 750 ohm load specification you mention (which I did not notice on the datatsheet) probably refers to the driving and load impedances which the tramsformer's design has been optimized for. That assumes, that the driving amplifier will not experience performance degradation when driving an 750 ohm load. In general, the higher the load impedance seen by an Vout stage of an DAC, the better. Raising the load impedance tends to decrease harmonic distortion.

The 5K ohms @ 1KHz specification may be the primary load impedance with the secondary open, indicating the core inductance as seen in to the primary. The working primary load seen by the DAC's Vout pins will equal the load on the secondary side of the transformer in parallel with the inductive reactance of the core - ignoring the parasitic impedances.

Last edited:
The 750 ohm load specification you mention (which I did not notice on the datatsheet) probably refers to the driving and load impedances which the tramsformer's design has been optimized for.

750 ohm was seller's claim. I acquired its datasheet later that showing an impedance value of 5k which I'm not sure what kind of specification it is. I see everyone suggesting 600 ohm 1:1 transformer for voltage output DACs then I purchased this one according to seller's sketch. Probably it is a reasonable fit for my needs for reasons that you mentioned.

DC resistances are low and casing is not so small. These may indicate for something good too.

Seller's sketch is flipped. It is showing two windings at secondary but they are primary windings according to datasheet (0.5+0.5:1.07).

Thanks.

Attachments

• RK736-ebay.jpg
    RK736-ebay.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.