Has anyone tried these caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found these rather inexpensive poly caps here:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=404_5_12&products_id=1463

I need two large value caps in my ESS AMT 1C speaker rebuild: 45uF and 95uF. I was thinking that perhaps a cheap way through this would be to parallel/series (9 parallel + 2 series caps in parallel makes 95..) my way to an inexpensive, large value poly instead of the cheaper electrolytics or mylar. I could do the same with the 45, though it's not as expensive there.

The obvious benefits are poly caps and low price. The negatives would be not a brand name (whatever that means), only 100v (which is enough electrically) and 10% tolerance instead of something tighter, and of course mess/clutter.

Other than the obvious clutter/mess issues, what do you think? Does anyone have any idea how these 'sound'? (Yes, I know about the proverbial can of worms here... but I'm hoping for something.)

Thanks for your advice,

IBJamon

I've used those caps before - quite some time ago. I never measured them but they seemed to work fine.

However, to get the value you're looking for it seems like a big hassle (not to mention a big amount of space on your XO boards) to hook so many together. I use electrolytic caps all the time and they are fine - I would recommend you go that route.

I haven't used them. But you might check out Apex Jr. from our vendors forum. I think he has some 55uf 250v caps for about $4.50 and 35uf 250v caps for $3.50.
Yea thats a little higher than those caps you are talking about but it's a pain to
parallel a lot of caps and higher voltage caps usualy sound better.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven't used them. But you might check out Apex Jr. from our vendors forum. I think he has some 55uf 250v caps for about $4.50 and 35uf 250v caps for $3.50.
Yea thats a little higher than those caps you are talking about but it's a pain to
parallel a lot of caps and higher voltage caps usualy sound better.

The 55 Uf 240Vac caps have sold out, I still have the 35 Uf 240Vac
and can sell for $2.50ea and they are polyproplyne
http://www.apexjr.com/images/35UF250.JPG

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Oh man I wish I knew about Apex Jr. earlier. I grew impatient.. and ordered them anyway (I found other forum posts online that suggest they sound fine). I'll let you know how it works out. If it's too unwieldy.. well I'll figure out something. ;)

Thank you for your input!

IBJamon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.