Has anyone taken the body off a Denon DL103?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
midrange

Sound Smith did the work.
I was shocked at first as the sound sped up, detail was incredible in comparison. Seemed very different. After I calmed down and assimilated to it the detail is still there but can fall within the music. The sound did lose some baby fat but the midrange is still very very nice. I run it at 2.4g VTF with the tail down a bit.

With every upgrade down the chain you see more and more of what the 103 does.

Re: midrange

Randomizer said:
Sound Smith did the work.
I was shocked at first as the sound sped up, detail was incredible in comparison. Seemed very different. After I calmed down and assimilated to it the detail is still there but can fall within the music. The sound did lose some baby fat but the midrange is still very very nice. I run it at 2.4g VTF with the tail down a bit.

With every upgrade down the chain you see more and more of what the 103 does.

I'm considering this for my 103 but have heard a couple people say that afterwards it does not ride the grove as well and there is more noise. Did you have to change your set up at all after the SS mods? Thanks.

Re: Re: midrange

johnsonad said:
I'm considering this for my 103 but have heard a couple people say that afterwards it does not ride the grove as well and there is more noise. Did you have to change your set up at all after the SS mods? Thanks.

just the opposite, johnsonad.

You have to spend the time to align it even more so with the fine line and Peter says that azimuth is of even more importance with this stylus cut. But it rides very snug. I get no distortion at all even on a crowded inner groove.

But if you mean noise by way of detail then the following settings gives it the familiar weight:

VTA = down at back
VTF = 2.3+
arm effective weight = 19+ grams, at least

After about 20 hours it is very very smooth. Used records are even more playable than before; noise being delegated second class status. For me it is the apotheosis of the 103. I have a 103 re-tipped in Panzerholz body I bought from a friend, an Ebony of the same at SoundSmith now, and will mount an 'R' in another wood body and send off later. I have a brass plate also from anumber1 that I will have to get another 103 for and run that one nude. All of them will get the fine line re-tip and I may spring for the super fine line re-tip on the nude one ... I am pretty convinced and very happy with the results.

The results being resolution of detail that does not over-ride the cohesive gestalt. Display of complicated/busy orchestral music with the congestion, just the opposite - all instruments are distinct and threaded. Voices are human, can tell all kinds of inflection. Bass has that wrap around tightness not losing the bottom weight. And there is a smooth elegance after a small bit of break-in.

I am replacing the Technics tonearm as it really does not like running the 103. I had a rb250 previously that did a far better job so that is getting rewired and placed on the wheel of steel.

If in some crazy chance you don't like what you get you can easily sell it for everything you spent on it. I think a wood body, potted, fine line re-tipped 103 would easily go for $500 if not $600-700. Who out there is selling such a thing commercially? No one.

Inspired by Uwe's handiwork and emboldened by Thomas Shick's video, I set out to make a Denon casing unlike any other.

FROM THIS
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TO THIS
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TO THIS

I am grateful to Uwe and Thomas and I dedicate this work as a tribute to them. I am very proud of this accomplishment, I hope they are too.

MandyM

vinylkid58 said:

I believe you have succeeded. That is excellent work. How does it sound?

Could we have a pic of it mounted in your table?

Jeff

It sounds better than it looks! Here is the mammoth case mounted on my DIY Ebony tonearm:

Here is my DIY slip-on stylus guard for all nudies, Denon or otherwise:

MandyM

Yesterday I successfully removed the body of my DL-103 and epoxy glued it to a piece of ebony just over 3mm thick in order to mount it.

i agree with everything that Yomanze wrote in post 19 about the improvements. The top in particular has really woken up. :cool:

Attachments

• dsc01144.jpg
    dsc01144.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 851
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The French magazine L''Audiophile did publish an article about replacing the standard plastic 103 '' housing '' with one made in lead. It was sold in their shop for several years but i think you need help of some technical company that is experienced in molding. It was published in nr22 november 1981. I think you can find a copy of that article on the internet ( in French ) or get a cd with all the articles. Good luck, Eduard

Just one more voice on this topic. :eek:

I discovered Tomas Shick's video and de-nuded my DL103 also. I made up an aluminum plate 2mm thick with threaded the holes for mount. This was affixed with ACA (crazy glue).

I agree with all the positive things said - this mod utterly transforms a stock DL103. I will be looking at glueing the body next.

VERY highly recommended. :D

Jess

cygnus x1 said:
Beautiful Denon MOD! Wants me to try this on a Blue Point, has anyone tried one? I don't see the seams like on a Denon. I've also considered ivory but was worried about buying "counterfit" ivory. Has anyone considered/tried stone?

I'm in the process of modding a standard blue point II. Here it is nuded. Will probably send it off to sound-smith for a level one retip, and then make a wood body for it.

large.jpg

For comparison sake, here is my BPS EVO III

large.jpg

and blackbird

large.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.