Has Anyone else used MJE13005's Switching Transistors for the output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to Chord Electronic's website:2N3055 was originally designed for switching purpose.

But seems that many have used them for audio for quite a long years,i think that using switching transistors for output stages should not be a problem.Most important is how u use them.:)

Hello Everyone,
I am Sitting Here Listening to "Dire Straits" -"Brothers in Arms"
and with my new "old" speakers the MJE13005's sound Excellent.
After all the Comments about how you shouldn't use switching transistors, i was about to remove them and go back to the norm.

As was just pointed out that the 2N3055 started out and is still used as a switching Transistor as well as a Amp Output Transistor, I'm not going to give up using the MJE13005's until more tests are done! Just Yet!

Leolabs said:
According to Chord Electronic's website:2N3055 was originally designed for switching purpose.

But seems that many have used them for audio for quite a long years,i think that using switching transistors for output stages should not be a problem.Most important is how u use them.:)

2N4401 is well known and popular for low noise audio use and it is supposedly switching transistor.

Thanks mzzj,
I like the way the MJE13005's sound, so will continue using them.
In the Datasheet there doesn't seem to be a complimently NPN listed to go with the MJE13005 as with a Normal Power Transistor. This isn't a problem as i am using a Quasi-Complimently Output Stage. As one of you pointed out that the "Beta" drops of about 1 Amp, so if i decide to use this transistor in my final design, i will be using 2 or 3 in Parallel to help with this problem. Also i have read that using more than 1 transistor paralleled can reduce the distortion a little?
If Anyone else decides to try a MJE13005 in their Amplifier, please let me know what you think.

Hello RAHUL,
I will be drawing my Amp Diagram that is using the MJE13005's in the next week or so and will post it on this forum.
It's isn't the lastest design and most would say it's a bit out of date, but I like it.
It a mixture of the "Simple Current F/B Amp" On the "Elliot Sound Products" site. Basically I am using the Fig 2 circuit ( +, 0volts and - power supply ) with the Fig 1 output stage being 2 NPN Transistors in a Quasi-complimentary layout.

It's simply, gives me about 45W RMS and can be fixed quickly if anything goes wrong. One thing I have noticed is that if the output transistors overheat or the speaker output is shorted and the output transistors let go, the driver Transistors also burn out.

Hi!

My personal opinion people often look to a reasonable performing amplifier. At DIY it should be slightly better than the stock market stuff. Fantics would nevertheless go overboard.

Quasi topology is one of convenience and good performance. Immaterial its 13005 or MOSFET.

TLF999 as you rightly said abt your amp I made a small board for Citation 12 Pass MF12 mosfet version. This was driven by an old Luxman preamp. I have posted the layout on forum. Even at low levels it performed amazingly well. Some purist said then this has high rail losses but I intended to use it in normal living room. 40+ watts were never used and for me it was good enough at casual listening levels.

Proven now I strive for good performance at casual listening levels. 13005 also appears to be in same line.

Just my thinking new Pass First Watt series probably is also based on such thinking.

Regards

Rahul

PS: Track layout for Ciatation 12 PASS MF12 mosfet version, drop a line for layout and other stuff.

Attachments

• citation12track.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.