Has anybody listened to the Boston Acoustics T830 speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
$200 for T830's sounds high to me

The T830's were made from around 1989 until sometime in the mid-1990's, so the pair that you're considering buying would not be 25 years old. If the foam was professionally replaced about 10 years ago, it would have failed before the speakers were 5 years old. If the foam was replaced with equivalent foam, then the new surrounds could fail at any time, and you would be looking at $100 for a new pair of woofers. If the foam was replaced with some other more durable foam, then the compliance would be different, which would alter the bass response.

There are other, newer speakers bargains out there that are as good or better than this.

(For example, I helped a friend pick out speakers two years ago. We happened to be in Fry's, the computer superstore, looking for computer stuff, and I noticed a pair of floor-standing Pinnacle Gold Reference Standard speakers being sold for $300. That model was being discontinued, and this pair had no box, no manual, nothing. But, they were in fine condition and sounded outrageously good. Much better bass than my Boston T830s.)

So maybe keep your eyes open for something more current.

-Mark

T-830s

Well I've had one pair myself since I bought them new in the '80s, and have yet to replace their foam surrounds. I've bought the rest off ebay for $150 to $250 per pair, and haven't gotten a bad one yet. I'd say that $200 for a pair you can try out in advance, and know the history of is a perfectly acceptable price. If you decide not to buy them, send me the seller's e-mail address so I can buy them.

Re: T-830s

softy said:
Well I've had one pair myself since I bought them new in the '80s, and have yet to replace their foam surrounds. I've bought the rest off ebay for $150 to $250 per pair, and haven't gotten a bad one yet. I'd say that $200 for a pair you can try out in advance, and know the history of is a perfectly acceptable price. If you decide not to buy them, send me the seller's e-mail address so I can buy them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5747499168&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I replaced the foam surrounds myself on my old Boston acoustics A70's
It was easy and rewarding DIY project using the kit from Partsexpress.com. The kit is about $20 to fix two woofers.
I'm pretty convinced the sound didn't change except for the better!

You guys should try it on your speakers.
what have you got to lose- the replacements are available if you screw up, but with a bit of care that's unliikely.

T-830s

Thanks for the heads up (TheWordIs), but I automatically get notified every time T-830s show up on ebay. I've bought most of the ones that have sold in the past few years. I now have 10 of 'em and am buying another pair right now. I probably won't jump on this pair, but I might.

Boston Acoustic T830 with a NAD 7240?

Hi everyone!

I have been reading this long thread about the Boston Acoustic T830 and I have come upon the opportunity to buy a pair. Currently I have an old NAD 7240 and I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with a NAD and Boston Acoustic combo.

How do they sound together?

Currently I am switching between a pair of B&W dm110's and Bang & Olufsen Bevox s30 with the NAD. The B&W's are great with movies and vocals but a bit colored with higher/sharp sounds. The sound-stage on them has a lot of depth but the imaging is not as precise. The B&O on the other hand have a very large sound—stage but it is not as deep. But the imaging on them however is wonderful. You know were every guy is on stage. I listen to a mixed bag of music from african drumming, to kraftwerk and disco, and back again to Bach.

Will the T830's be good with what I have? Will they work with the styles of music I prefer?

I hate to take up your time with my banal question but you folks all seem to passionately know so much about these machines.

I am just staring out with this hobby so I don't know very much about wise pairings of equipments.

: )

Thank you!

Reviving an old thread - I actually have a pair for sale if someone's interested. Both woofers are shot but otherwise they are in excellent condition. They've been sitting for years unused. I've never been able to bring myself to let go of them simply because they were my first "real" speakers and for what I paid in the late 80's they sound darn good! I finally decided to sell them to help fund an Astronomy project - a hobby which can easily rival high-end audio in cost once you're truly addicted!

I have no idea what they'd be worth - replacing the woofers is ~ $100 through BA. I doubt it makes much sense to ship them across the country. If the woofers were good I'd shoot for $300 - $325 obo.

Make an offer if someone's local or interested and we'll work something out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.