Harman - The Future of Listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-11 100849.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-11 100849.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 250
"What if your headphones could detect your mood and adjust your music choice automatically to meet your mood?"

I'd send it back for a refund, because it'd get it wrong at least 50% of the time. C'mon; all these automatic mechanisms that cause people to not have to think, which they seem to think is desirable and people would pay for.

I'll give you $400 so I dont have to think about this anymore - you figure it out - and I'll accept whatever you choose. Sounds like a Dilbert comic -

The "future of listening" is here already. Just listen.

"What if your headphones could detect your mood and adjust your music choice automatically to meet your mood?"

I'd send it back for a refund, because it'd get it wrong at least 50% of the time. C'mon; all these automatic mechanisms that cause people to not have to think, which they seem to think is desirable and people would pay for...

Couldn't agree more. What I might be feeling at any given moment is my business. Besides, for me half of the enjoyment of listening to music is in the simple act of pootling about and sampling what I want to hear next. The other half is tactile - the sensations I get from the ritual of playing an LP, or from the mechanics of building yet another creation.

Or to put it another way, I actually like to think for myself. Jeebus Q. McCreebus, what's next, "new and improved" Cyber-Charmin?* :p

*Ugh - apparently, someone's working on it... :eek:

Last edited:
"What if your headphones could detect your mood and adjust your music choice automatically to meet your mood? Feel like dancing?"

Don't think that would work for me...at all.
I have all my music in one giant playlist set to shuffle because I like the way it jumps from 70s peruvian cumbia to electronic dub to old blues to Belgium Indudtrial to krautrock to contemporary Russian folk etc completely at random.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The future of music for non hi-Fi nuts, ie people that just like a bit of music, is Alexa type services I think. Quality for most people is good enough

High end hi-fi is a past time for old farts trying to relive the heyday of their youth in the 1970’s and 80’s when having a good audio system was as important as owning their first car.

Just go to any audio show and you’ll see them hobbling around.

Alas, I am one of them. :)

I caved and bought my wife a Sonos (because I moved all my audio gear into my man cave). Quite an impressive sound for such a small box!

Connected it to Alexa - music, news, radio on demand and you just ask her.

The thought of some piece of software deciding what we should listen to because of our moods I find mildly repulsive.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
What you see is what you get
You've made your bed, you better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns
And the public wants what the public gets
But I don't get what this society wants
I'm going underground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.