Happy birthday US patent #200,521 (a day late)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, happy birthday patent number 200,521. :) Heard you were turning 135 years old as of yesterday.

Tin, "wax", shellac, bakelite, acetate, or vinyl on a cylinder or on a flat disk -- Mr. Edison, thank you for making record-able music for the masses in 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm.

I am going to dust off my record player (an old cheapo Thorens) and play some vinyl in tribute to this.

Well, happy birthday patent number 200,521. :) Heard you were turning 135 years old as of yesterday.

Tin, "wax", shellac, bakelite, acetate, or vinyl on a cylinder or on a flat disk -- Mr. Edison, thank you for making record-able music for the masses in 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm.

I am going to dust off my record player (an old cheapo Thorens) and play some vinyl in tribute to this.

Very well said sir! :worship:

Well, that was short lived kind of for me... a wire fell off my cartridge today.

But I celebrated none the less! Classical music, classic rock, a little Tijuana Brass, and the sounds of sports car engines going around the track at Sebring (I really have to tighten up my collection one day).

To my wife's dismay, the sports cars at Sebring actually sounded the most awesome.

Oh well, until the repairs are done -- hope you all had a good one.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
have you ever compaired the 124 to one of the sprung tt's?
if so..... whats better or worse?

back on topic.....
life changing invention....
worth celebrating! raise a LP, spin and repeat as a toast.

I also had a TD-125 for many years and IMHO the 124 is by far the better sounding of the two. I no longer have the 125 and now own two 124s.. I had an SME 20/2 in my hands for a short while, and overall that was definitely the quietest TT I have used - unfortunately it had not be well treated by the shipping gods and also did not have the proper arm on it, so although very good I probably did not hear it under anything close to the ideal circumstances. I will say it is hard to imagine a better built table than the SME..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.