Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All this back and forth yammering about MM vs. MC has only served to dilute this thread, which started out as a question of the relative merits of various "entry level" MC cartridges.

I never even considered getting an MM cartridge, as one of the reasons I'm setting up for MC is so that I can start developing some MC preamps. Having said that, I'll do initial listening with the step-up transformers I have on hand.

Last night, I pulled the the trigger and bought the AT-OC9ML/II - the price was too good to pass up. It won't be the best cart in the world, but it'll most likely soundly kick butt on everything I currently own (old Sumiko Blue Point, Grado Gold). I also have a Denon DL-160 still in the box. Before I try the low output cartridge, I intend to swap the Denon into my system and check out how it performs with several of my preamps.

All this back and forth yammering about MM vs. MC has only served to dilute this thread, which started out as a question of the relative merits of various "entry level" MC cartridges.

Coincidentally, this happened on another forum recently regarding the AT33PTGII. One particular member decided that his Naogoka MP-500 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the AT33PTGII couldn't possibly be better. Most of the posters just ignored this particular member. In the end, the OP bought the AT and couldn't be happier.

jeff

I really do not care about your opinion.

Perhaps you should. This link and apparently your thought process are missing part of the equation- this is an electromechanical transducer, and the Hagerman link only accounts for the electrical part. The actual frequency response is the product of the electrical and mechanical response.

If you have a copy of Linear Audio Vol 7, note the analysis in the Equal Opportunity article, especially Figure 3 and the paragraph above that. With correct loading, a good MM cartridge has excellent frequency response, and the best MMs have an extended response that lacks the HF ringing which is a "feature" of nearly all MCs.

Perhaps you should. This link and apparently your thought process are missing part of the equation- this is an electromechanical transducer, and the Hagerman link only accounts for the electrical part. The actual frequency response is the product of the electrical and mechanical response.

If you have a copy of Linear Audio Vol 7, note the analysis in the Equal Opportunity article, especially Figure 3 and the paragraph above that. With correct loading, a good MM cartridge has excellent frequency response, and the best MMs have an extended response that lacks the HF ringing which is a "feature" of nearly all MCs.

Don't confuse the issue with technical facts. I've been following this with interest since someone droped my TT and arm on it's head while in storage I had to start over. I am in the process of rewiring a Thorens TD-160 for differential which I found on the cheap. Lots of good cart recommendations here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.