• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond 1650F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ThSpeakerDude88 said:
ah ok, I was wondering because the old ones were designed for 117v. I would like them to be designed for 120v to keep them running cool and not bang the output tubes so hard. Have they redone this on the new dynaclone PTs??
Dunno. I have no interest in the PT's as I live in a 240V country. Email Ned.

Still no answer on power a power supply........

I really just need to know if the newly designed power transformers for the ST35 are copies of the original , which seemed to run hot from many accounts I've read, or if they are new improved versions that will run cool.

If so I'd like to order one from triodeelectronics this week.

ThSpeakerDude88 said:
Still no answer on power a power supply........

I really just need to know if the newly designed power transformers for the ST35 are copies of the original , which seemed to run hot from many accounts I've read, or if they are new improved versions that will run cool.

If so I'd like to order one from triodeelectronics this week.
I remember a couple of years back when these were released, there was a bit of talk on AA TubeDIY about them being redesigned to get over the overheating issue.

Also, whilst I have direct experience of them, the 2 series Hammonds had a rep for running hot according to AA pundits. The 3 series were reportedly better. Unless cost or weight are an issue, I buy the biggest iron I can.

I have used the 3xx series in several projects without any problems. They have been quiet and run cool. I have an amp in my office that gets switched on at 6am every moring, runs until 5pm, and except when the air conditioning went down, never gets more than warm to the touch. Without the ac it got noticeably warmer, but not hot. Never tried the 2xx, heard too many stories about running hot, but I don't recall reading a lot of stories about failures. I have also used the angela universal in a couple of amps - they are very quiet. They do run a little warmer than the 3xx hammonds, but nothing to worry about.

well I ordered the one from triode electronics. Matches the Hammond OPT's perfectly!

Now I have a question about placement. On the ST35, and a lot of other amps, the power transformer is always at a 90 to the OPT's. Does this really reduce hum enough to warrant this location or was it originally done to save room? I think it would at least look better with them all in a neat row, like mcintosh amps.

dmason said:
I have a pair in a Class A PP triode 6EM7. They are surprisingly musical, with good low end grunt. Outstanding value IMO. Hope this helps abit...

How is my amp doing anyway Dan ?

I haven't heard from you in a long time.

shoot me an email

6em721s.jpg

I just got my hands on a 373BX. Compared to a 274BX that I also have it is quite a bit larger and heavier! Something to think about. I got it dirt cheap, but will probably crush the $6 cake pan I was going to use as a chassis.

It's likely a get what you pay for deal. My 274BX hums like mad, gets very very hot, and it's primaries are rated for 115v. I haven't wired up the 373BX yet, but the word is that they run cooler and don't hum like the 200 series. 120v primaries are a plus as well. Check out Edcor's offerings too. I haven't had any experience with them, but plan to purchase from them soon.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
whitelabrat said:
I just got my hands on a 373BX. Compared to a 274BX that I also have it is quite a bit larger and heavier! Something to think about. I got it dirt cheap, but will probably crush the $6 cake pan I was going to use as a chassis.

It's likely a get what you pay for deal. My 274BX hums like mad, gets very very hot, and it's primaries are rated for 115v. I haven't wired up the 373BX yet, but the word is that they run cooler and don't hum like the 200 series. 120v primaries are a plus as well. Check out Edcor's offerings too. I haven't had any experience with them, but plan to purchase from them soon.

The Hammond 300 series stuff are quite a lot better than the 200 series transformers, you would hardly believe they are made by the same outfit. (Better = much quieter, cooler running)
:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.