half chang or MLTL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
beauistheman said:
thanks for all the posts guys. OK well the room is fairly large, but i am renting so i want them to be able to move around (i would rather build them for a large room). Music i listen to is quite wide, from rock to modern jazz, but no new age house music or anything like that.

The height of the enclosure is not much of a issue, but i havent built many enclosures and would like to keep the difficulty to a medium, such as the HC. Prices here in Japan are roughly similar to the US but i dont need to go over there to get them, so a 206e will cost me $73 here, 207 $82. The FT17h is about $30. So, i have seen alot of posts saying the 207+tweeter is a good solution, since the 207 is a little bit cleaner down low.

How does the DBR fostex reccomend for the 207 fair? And can anyone show me a link to how the BSC works? Im interested to know

If you're moving around, I think you might be better served considering a speaker system that wouldn't be oversized physically or acoustically for a smaller room you might find yourself in. Trust me, some of the wonderful sounding larger designs for even the 207 can get to be a bit of a bother to move around.

Consuming a lot of posts describing what some folks consider as "a good solution" (to whatever the question) is certainly helpful to provide raw data (all of us reading and posting to these forums continue to do exactly that on a daily basis) -

BUT - and it has to be a "big but"

until you actually hear or take the leap of faith to build something that's been described, you won't be able to relate your experience/ expectations to what you've read about. For that reason alone, I'd always suggest that a professed first time builder start with something small. If successful, it can always serve as a secondary / bedroom system or get gifted to a friend, etc., and after comparing notes with other builders /forum posters, you'll have a much better idea about what direction to take with the next (few) project (s)

Since you didn't like what you've heard from the 206 in what some would consider an inappropriate enclosure - what other (if any) Fostex systems have you had the opportunity hear, and under what conditions (amp /room /music type etc)

all were in a large area, in standard fostex enclosures (either horn or BR enclosure). I heard quite a few different units, but the 206 stood out because i felt it had a nice mid bass and general mid sound. The smaller units didnt appeal for that reason. I did feel that it might have lacked a little in the top range and hence the reason why i considered the tweeter option. From what i have read, the HC with 207 mated with a tweeter would extend into lower range and the tweeter would cover the higher freq section. Does this sound fair?

Moving around i mean like maybe once a year haha, im just trying to say that the room they will be in now (moderate sized) might be larger next time.

Hi beau, pardon my jumping in, but your description of a FE206E in a BR does not quite fit with my experience.

The FE206E in a BR would have /lots/ of treble (understatement) and not a great amount of bass, unless it had been very heavily tweaked with BSC and/or series resistance. (And there's nothing wrong with that.)

Your description sounds exactly like what the FE207E in a BR would sound like -- with BSC, it certainly can have decent bass and need a bit of treble boost above 10k (i.e., if you use BSC, you might want a supertweeter, depending on taste).

So is there a chance that the driver you heard was mis-identified? Mounted in a baffle, they look identical.

Ok well i believe i want to build the Half Chang enclosure, but throwing up between the 206e and the 207e. I would rather use the 207e i guess since this enclosure was designed for it, but will it need a tweeter (i guess that is personal taste) and any suggestions? Im thinking FT17h but what other cheaper options are there? ATM i am leaning to buying the 207e and seeing if i feel the need for a tweeter later on...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.