Half Chang change

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First time posting here and am very intrested in the Spawn family. I falling in love with the Curvy Chang. The only problem for me is SPL. I have to admit, I do like loud and so does my wife:) . I know, I am very fortunate.

Now to my idea. Take two Half Changs, flip one on top of the other, make some Curvy sidepanels for them, wire them up(not going into detail on wiring since a supertweeter would be an option) and PRESTO! Should have the SPL to suit my needs.

The only problem I see is the height. 90 1/2 inches tall! OUCH!

Can you....

1 Widen the speaker chamber while lowering the height of it?

2 Widen the bottom horn mouth while keeping the same height?

3 Do all this while keeping the same performance of the Half Chang?

4 Keep the drivers in a vertical pattern?

5. Leave enough space between the drivers for an addition of a supertweeter?

6. Keep this at aroundthe 70 inch mark in height?

I know this is a lot to ask, but then again, I'm dealing with the smartest Fullrange DIY'ers.... Right?

Thanks,

Jay

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st thing. You won't gain any real SPL (you have to roll off one of the FE207s to keep the mid/top coherent.

2nd. The elegance of the curvy changs uses the central placement of the driver.

3rd. Even if everything else worked, you only gain 3dB.

4th. A 207 in a curvy chang should easily play loud enuff to damage your hearing if you have sufficient power.

A better way would be to actively XO them to a pair of subs at about 60 Hz, releiving the 207s to go louder with less strain.

BTW: there exits a non-curvy chang for a pair of B20s or FE207s, but you really need to add quite a robust tweeter to the mix.

dave

Wow...

My listening room is 16x20. My listening position is 12 feet from my Curvy Changs. I drive the speakers with a pair of 100 watt Aspen amps.

Last week I turned my amps up just a hair past half-way and it was freaking loud... unplesantly loud!

These things go pretty loud already.

Bruce

My listening room is 18' x 16' with large openings on two sides to other rooms. My listening position is about 8 feet from my FE 206e Half Changs. My amp is a Prima Luna Prologue II - 40 wpc.

I can't crank the volume dial past 10 - 11 o'clock without leaving my ears ringing. If your amp has sufficient gain there is no way that you'll need four of these.

More isn't always better ;)

Well then, I guess you all just answered my question. I'll go with one.

I've been a loyal Klipsch fan for many years now and want to explore more options. That's why I'm so intrested in SPL. My Chorus II's have a 101db rating and are very lean. I have a few amps I can choose between but I'm sure my Dynaco MK III's will sound the best on the Changs.

I've been looking at the full range arena for more than a year now and will build these Curvy Changs within a couple of months. I've got some cleaning up to do in the house and garage, then I'm off to the races.

I finally bought my Festool FS 75 saw to get the job done and cannot wait to use it.

One final question, what tweeter would you recommend for this cabinet if any......Fostex, HI-VI, Aurum Cantus.......Horn, Planar, Ribbon........

Thanks,

Jay

risingjay said:
One final question, what tweeter would you recommend for this cabinet if any......Fostex, HI-VI, Aurum Cantus.......Horn, Planar, Ribbon........

Thanks,

Jay

No tweeter on mine... just pure single driver magic for me!! :) Of course I did treat the cone with Puzzle Coat per Planet10s direction which was a very cheap and worthwhile tweek. I also bought a pair of Planet10's phase plugs (the long ones) which helps as well.

Next week I'll EnABL them as well.

These are great speakers, you'll be glad you built a pair!

Bruce

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.