Hafler Dh200 What to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all;

I have the bug to build a new amp and have a working Hafler amp sitting around.

Should I rebuild it with mods or use it as the basis of something more fun like a class A amp of some sort. I'm thinking the tranny and mosfets should be useful in something interesting.

thanking all in advance.
eric

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You have surely seen this thread when you have done your mandatory search before opening your thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/31131-hafler-dh-200-220-mods.html#post359323

Also if you are patient I will post on the thread above my suggested implementation of an amp similar to the VSSA amp ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/225747-vssa-lateral-mosfet-amplifier.html#post3285859 )
into an Hafler DH-200-220 chassis using a readily available clone Pass F5 boards as front end.... since the best valuable part of the DH-200-220 amp is the set of TO-3 package Lateral Mosfet which are obsolete for a while and very expensive where you can find them....

Although it will take me a couple of months to do so...

Fab

I would not strip a working DH200, or any Hafler unless it was completely beyond repair (blown lateral MOSFETS). In that case I would strip everything but the transformer and heatsinks and build a Leach. These aren't classic, high dollar amps, but the number of unmolested examples is dwindling.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You have a wrong thought.."building a new one" means do it yourself a new one.:p

If he is able to find an unbuilt kit.... I would at least upgrade for better parts (capacitors) and components value.

I know that the VSSA type amp sounds better than the original DH-200 amp according to one friend of mine listening to both amps. But of course others could have different taste...

Fab

I have been busy I have been off the forum a while,so you may have turned this thing into ampzilla by now. I am throwing two cents in in case you didn't already jump on this project. You already received good responses, but no one bothered to ask how would you use the amp,what state its in,and what are the power requirement needs? More over an untouched dh 200 is not so common today,and (you won't get rich but) can have descent value if all orig. That said if you are dead set on modding I hope you post pics of the process and end result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.