hafler 9180 BIAS+Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ground Loop

Back again...

I've definitely been enjoying the Haflers, now that I'm actually listening to them. BUT the ground loop issue has shown it's face...

Checked other threads, know the safety issues (I think), but just wondering if doing the following would be adequate.

Seeing that my big yamaha amp doesn't even come with a grounded plug (just a binding post for ground). Would it be reasonable to internally just keep the ground attached to the chasis (A must, I know), but lift it from the electronics? As a side effect I'd have to connect the (-) speker posts to the electronic ground on the board, since it was just strung to the ground lug.

The chasis would be safe, but any fear with the electronics? I could do the 10ohm resistor, but I 've tried it before on other electronics and found it not always fixes anything.

Reason I'm bringing all this up, is the silly computer engineers that decide to attach earth to the cabinet, as well as electronics. So having my audio card hooked up (I make music... sometimes), ends up causing ground loop, when the amp is grounded.

Silly pain in the bum, really.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bluesmoke,
Use a 10 to 100 ohm resistor to reference the chassis to the electronics. No, it doesn't always fix everything. If it doesn't, keep hunting.

Computers often create problems when hooked up to audio / video systems. What do you expect from a $20 power supply in a computer? Upgrading the computer supply can sometimes help. Not always.

-Chris

Will hunt to see what I have in my toolbox... sure i have one somewhere I can test with... 1/4watt OK? ! watt? 10 watt?.

Actually I have a decent mid-range Enermax power supply. Reliable, but I think it's more a fault in the design of PCs. Frame of the PS, grounds the case frame, to which the audio card is attached is mounted to (usually connected to the card's ground). Same happens internally too. Internal ground, is earthed. Blah!

You'd think this would be the first (and most basic) isuue to get right when designing something. Sure I could feed a standard cd player that comes with an ungrounded plug directly straight into an amp for problem-free use, but use any pro or industrial gear, and poof! Problem due to engineering lazyness...?

I think I'll get lazy too, and just watch another movie.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bluesmoke,
1/4 W or 1/2 W should be fine. There shouldn't be any current flow to speak of.

Computers were never optimized to tie into anything else but more digital stuff (like printers). I am very wary of sound card instruments for that reason.

-Chris

True, but when you do semi-pro recording, some internal cards are actually quite good (and a lot of times more reliable). Of course, I'll bet outboard pro-tools units are electronically well isolated from the computer.

... ungh... I have more work on Sunday nights over any other day of the week... :dead:

Howdy,

No more tweaking for me. Fingers are raw from undoing hex bolts over and over.

Browsed the schematics (I love Hafler), and saw that the earth ground should be in fact separate from the audio ground. Somewhere in between designing and manufacture they had decided to connect the two. Thought it was odd, since no other amp I have seen had done this. Chasis is still very well grounded (earthed).

Also, for anybody tinkering with haflers. Found the bridge to be loose. Needed to be tightened down for better thermal contact. Also the power connections could be pushed in a touch more. Just minor details really.

Time to find something else to do...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.