Hafler 500 amp Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It will work fine

This is a tank amp. Well, if you have one, you know that it is built like one. The only possible issue may be age and its caps. They can be replaced for a lot less than it would cost to buy any amp like it. Joy of this amp line is that it can be repaired and modded. The only issue anyone really ever had with these is the HF sound - its sounds like a solid state amp.

Its orginal specs were 255w into 8ohms and that was conservitive. If you want, it can be mono'ed and will drive more than 800watts into 8ohms. It can supply the current to really follow that voltage! I plan to use a pair that I have to do the same thing.

Scott,
I've got the 'pro' version of that amp (use it to play bass), and sold a screaming blue million of them back when I was in the stereo business. It's a good mid-fi amp, better in the bass than the mid-range and highs. The capacitor bank in the power supply is a bit shy for an amp of that size; peaks tend to limit as a consequence.
Consider adding to the power supply capacitance if you intend to push it hard. Yes, it can be modified, but it's a fairly well balanced circuit as it is. You shouldn't need to fiddle with it to get it to go deep. All in all, it was a damned decent piece of hardware for the money.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.