Hacked Google home mini to have a line out - weird ground noise issue when no sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I may have some of those diodes somewhere and will give it a go. When there's no audio and the (I'm using GHM to refer to the Google Home Mini going forward as I'm sick of typing it) GHM is awake, there's no noise, so I don't think that's it. I'll still try it though.

I really like the sound of an audio transformer to isolate the two, but I'll need a hand picking one out as I've no idea what to look for.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the output of the amp in the Google spy device is BTL output, I would be inclined to use a transformer rather than a voltage divider.

Tom

What he could try is isolating his amp from both sides of the Home speaker, as one might be connected to the internal power supply.

Put three resistors in series across the Google speaker: 1k - 100R - 1k and connect your external amp across the 100R.

The diode trick shown before will distort the signal.

Jan

Its a common problem with digital sound sources - professional sound equipment would never do this! The basic problem is that the designers are focussed on power saving by always powering down unused circuitry, not being aware that an audio line output is required to have a low impedance all the time. A decent design would use an analog switch on the output to ground it when powering down the output chip. Analog switches are micropower and wouldn't compromise power use.

Here as you are hacking into a loudspeaker output you are the one who has to take this into account (speakers are low enough impedance
in themselves to short out the induced noise). I'd personally go for something like 100/10 ohm divider, sizing the 100 ohm according to the supply voltage of the output amp (V^2/R = power rating) - in effect replacing the speaker with a similar-ish load.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.