• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Guys please help me with my Jolida 102B!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there are LOADS of people out there that have modded jolida gear..so please help me if you can!

Hey Guys, anyone well versed with Jolida 102B help me out!!
I've heard that this little amp(great right out of the box BTW!) provides a nice bed upon which to do modification. I want to point out that I did not buy the "Standard" 102B, but the "factory hotrodded" version. ( Omite demon resistors,aluminum wound mineral oil filled coupling caps and high speed Hexfred diodes instead of the standard issue)

so...

I want to first address two issues. the first one is the Volume pot. it got scratchy about 6 months after I bought it, and has gotten consistently worse since then. the Jolida guys told me to spray some cleaner in the little opening on the pot and work it around to let the fluid distribute...did that, no dice..

so what i want to do is replace it(with the same type or something better)

the next thing... I heard that removing the power supply filter caps improves the sound. Is there any truth to that and if so, how do I go about removing them"

last but not least, I have never soldered anything or done anything like this. I am well aware of the lethal voltages carried inside the caps on a tube amp, and know how to go about it safely..

so if you guys could point me in the right direction(esp. with the volume pot) id be eternally gratefull,,,

I love the sound..imaging is great, timbre is beautiful..

I just want to make the amp a touch cleaner sound wise and open it up/improve the SNR.

thanks so much!! anyone have a schematic/?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can't actually "remove" the power supply filter caps, but you can upgrade them with something better.. (Possibly)

You didn't mention what brand and type of tubes you are using in your amp. Good NOS types are often (not always) significantly better sounding (as well as longer lasting) than current production types. Tube rolling within reason is in order.

The one worthwhile thing you can do sight unseen IMHO is to replace that pot with a good stepped attenuator.

Since you are inexperienced read the safety/newbie thread here carefully, and learned to solder on something other than your amplifier first - and get a good solder iron.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

You should be aware that there is no such thing as perfect! If you change one thing you will loose or change something else! If you do start changing components you may end up with an amp that you cannot live with.

Why buy the "factory hotrodded" version and then remove the components for better?

Quote: I love the sound..imaging is great, timbre is beautiful..

You can "upgrade" components, however this is personal preference! Bypass caps can make things open up, again capacitor types will effect the sound.

An example of this is people change capacitors in vintage equipment then find they have a modern sound.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.