guitar pots.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i don't like how the volume knob on my guitar goes from off to really loud in the first quarter turn of the pot and the rest of the way increases the volume only slightly. did that make any sense? anyways, is there anyway to make that pot more... linear ? throw some resistors in there? buy a better (or different) pot?

thanks for the link.
i think i want the pot to be sensitive, just equally sensitive throughout the whole turn, that way i can go from quit to loud easily with my pinky and do neat volume swells and sound like a violin sometimes.

the first idea on that page looks promising, but i don't know if guitar pickups are high or low impedance.

DYNAMICS

At last, a topic on which I can contribute!

Some guitar makers use linear taper pots, for reasons I don't understand. Because human hearing is logarithmic, this causes the "first 1/4 turn covers most of the range" syndrome. You can substitute a log or audio taper pot and have a saner response to changes in the control.

Most guitar volume pots are 250K or 500K ohms; the higher value is for guitars with humbucking or overwound pickups, the 250K works best with single coil pickups.

I hope someone finds this of use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.