• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Guardian-86 and Guardian-686: High-End Speaker Protection Circuits

It sounded like the police had some good information to go by so my fingers are crossed that some form of justice will be served.

I won't be goaltending for a bit. My left shoulder definitely won't appreciate that. I might show up and skate warmup with my Sunday hockey. We'll see. I'll play it safe. Concussions are not fun. I don't feel too bad in that regard. I got about 3.5 hours of good sleep last night, so sleep deprivation is a factor too. I'm not walking into stationary objects like I did last I bumped my head.

And thank you for your well-wishes and recommendations. The ER doc recommended acetaminophen + ibuprofen.

Tom

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
What is the speaker shutdown speed?
Guardian-86_R2p0_ShutdownTime.png

Tom

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yikes, Tom. That sucks, but very fortunate that it was not worse. Hope you’re feeling better and stronger soon. Be prepared for and open to extended physical therapy for your muscular injuries. I had a similar experience several years ago and the involuntary tensing up just before impact led to multiple problems with my back. Dedicated physical therapy brought me out of that. Be patient with your healing.

I'll definitely need some physiotherapy. I've started with some acupuncture and massage just to get things moving a bit but that has set off an avalanche of muscle tightness. Fun, fun. Happy, happy. At least my brain seems mostly intact. There's no doubt I have a concussion. I've lost my sense of time. It's really weird. And I'm definitely more irritable than normal, though that could be because of all the muscle crap too. A friend of mine has had several strokes and now we get to compare brain damage. It makes for some fun conversations.

Getting back to the Guardian-86, however: There's a clear tradeoff between the reaction time of any protection circuit and the amount of protection offered. It's analogous to fusing. A fuse should blow to prevent your house from burning down. It shouldn't blow because you crank the volume knob past 3 o'clock.
Same with the Guardian-86. It should interrupt current flow to the speaker when "excessive" "DC" is present. The questions are then, what is "excessive" and what is "DC". I think most would find it pretty annoying if the speaker protection circuit turned the music off at each heavy bass thump, so I designed the Guardian-86 to allow for a rail-to-rail 20 Hz signal to pass (assuming ±100 V rails). Some may consider this excessive. I certainly would if I was designing a headphone amp, which is also why I don't recommend the Guardian-86 for headphone amps.

Most importantly, the protection circuit should interrupt the flow of current quickly once it is determined that such action is necessary. MOSFET switches do this nicely. Relays not so much. I'd love to be able to repeat the experiment shown here: https://www.halfgaar.net/dc-protection-with-relays with the Guardian-86. I think that would make a great video. Right now my priorities are to get my brain back in order, search for a replacement car, and prepare for Axpona. Because in a one-man business there's no such thing as slowing down. :)

Tom

• Thank You
Who's "we"?

I have already committed to making the video, but as I've told you here and on my own forum, I'm currently recovering from a pretty serious car accident that has left me with a concussion. I also have Axpona coming up and will turn that into a trip. Furthermore, I'm way behind on two consulting projects. My clients pay me way more that you do, so they get priority. Sorry buddy. That's reality.

Tom

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I expect Konrad’s comment was more along the lines of positive anticipation, more like “That’s great! It will greatly contribute to the forum and we look forward to it.”

Good luck with getting caught up with things as you recover, Tom. The diyAudio “we” wish you well. :cheers: