group delay comparison-TL TQWP MLTL-AS goood as infinite baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to admit that i once believed group delay wasnt all that important, as long as reasonably low.

recent listening(as loud as possible with a Cambridge Audio A1, and 5" drivers), has shown me the error of my ways. I always noticed the 'muddiness' in lower bass registers in BB4 alignments, and in the QBB3 also.

ive been listening to what many FR advocates would cringe at.....electronic music. :rolleyes: compressed, over eq-ued, slightly distorted samples.

i have the same bass driver in both a SBB4 and oversize(Qtb ~=0.6)sealed box.

although upper bass seems cleaner in the SBB4, the lower bass seems MUCH better defined. the SBB4 just wallows below about 40Hz. This is hardly news to most people, but the level of audibility surprised me.

a glance thru winisd showed why, the 12ms group delay bang on 40Hz. Not terrible, compared with SOME subwoofer type drivers, but still crap compared to the sealed box group delay of 3-4ms.

at the end of all this schpiel id like to ask if anyone out there has comparisons or data showing group delay for MLTL TL QWTP?

i feel that in many ways (dont flame me :D) many 'vented' or 'transmitted' loading methods, including horns, cannot compare with a sealed box in terms of group delay.

If i am wrong in this assumption, I would love to see some data, if there is any.

thanks all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.