Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks to me that if we can not push the number up to at least the 36 mark, it's not really worth the effort on a group buy. By my calc's we save about 35 bucks Canadian, at the 24 mark, and then we have to sort out the display and control issues. If we can't get that stuff, I think most of the group would drop out. Our main savings seem to be on shipping. Am I correct assuming that the 96 euros is for 12 units i.e. 8 euro's/unit? Even still, they have to be re-shipped, so there goes some of the savings.

Chris

cd pro

Hi,

Well I think as I live in the UK I'm better off going this alone. I have tried at least twice to get others interested in a case design for those of us stuck on such things, but to no avail. If anyone's still interested in going for a group desinged case etc let me know.

Thanks
Raja

case

Hi Peter,

I checked out that link but it's rather expensive, coming in at around 500-600 euro's for the good case. I came out with the idea of the par-metal cases cause I though they would be way cheaper and they look pretty good to. I though that one of the 2u cases could have the top and front panels cut by them, so that even us simpletons could chuck a tranport in there. I'm sure that for some of us here it' will be difficult to build a nice looking case, which is important if you want to place the player in your mainroom, and open yourself to scrutiny. However at a stretch I can build my own, reason for suggestiong the case is two fold,

1) It will cost me a lot of money to get the decent tools required as I don't own all the ones required.

2) Why give myself the headache when a pre made case is available, but I'm not going to pay 500-600 euro's for it!

Well if only we could build like you mate, we'd be OK. Thanks for your reply Peter, and also thanks for all the hassle you go to, with helping by posting results and finding about group buys.

Thanks
Raja

I didn't realise those cases were so expensive. If I wanted to built those cases cheap, I would use wood and proabably separated transport from PS. I tend to believe that less is actually more and I found out that my DAC sounds best without a case. Each chassiss introduses complex resonances, which affect sonics and usually getting rid of them is an improvement.

I would suggest for anybody not skilled, or lacking tools for metal, try using wood. It sounds definitely better than metal and combined with some metal accents, can look nice as well.

Peter, you're talking about a separated PS

I also had this idea, and I thought about some possibilities. I'd like your opinion

What do you think that would be better:

putting the trafo, diodes, caps, and regulators on a separate chassis, and connect it to the player, with maybe some small caps in the player

or putting only the trafo and diodes in the PS chassis, and putting the caps and regulators as close as possible to the player's PCB

?

They sounded diferent, CD pro was more refined, but it was comparing maximum tweaked transport with a stock one attached to a piece of plywood. But I saw good potential in that transport (CD12) and with tweaking, parts upgrade, proper mounting it might be very good.

I contacted Holger Stein for schematic and he admitted that he prefers CD12.

When i called Nico Thevissen i asked him about differences between CDM12 and CD Pro 2.
He told me there is not much difference, Electronis, Software, laser is almost same.
Difference should be CD PRO 2 is a heavy duty unit (metal frame) intended for professionell storage, robot use, music boxes. CDM 12 is for expensive consumer CDPs. He said CD PRO2 is not less audio quality but better mechanical quality. He also said there is no better transport than CD PRO2 in terms of BLER at the moment, new it should have about 10% of BLER than a cheapo CDP trabsport. (CD PRO 2 new with new CD 0-5, cheap transports new / new CD 50-60) if i remember right.

One advantage of CDM12 is a regular board, so everything can be modified if someone wants. With CD Pro SMD board the access is almost impossible, but small size has advantages as well. Also the laser pickup looks slightly different. I like CDM12 dispaly better, as it provides more info, but OTOH it's smaller and not seen well from distance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.