Grounding the Aleph 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

The Aleph 2 incorporates a 5 ohm NTC thermistor to connect chassis and circuit to ground.

Grounding chassis via a thermistor is in fact not allowed by European regulations, and I also prefer not to. I can easily isolate connector shieldings from the chassis, so for ground loops it should not be a problem.

It gives me the choice of grounding the circuit perhaps by an other means. I can leave the NTC, or maybe put a more fancy solution with a little switch or relay, or perhaps paralleling such a relay with a high ohmic resistor just to keep circuit ground properly referenced to ground, without allowing ground loops.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Bakmeel

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can also connect your circuit ground through the ac side of a bridge rectifier as shown below which would eliminate any possibility of ground loops.

(as taken from ZV4)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 423
I don't remember the Aleph 2 using a thermistor to ground--I thought it used a resistor. In any event, a fixed low value resistor, say 3 to 5 Ohms, would be one alternative.
Manually switching ground can give you options when dealing with ground loops. Guitar amps routinely have exactly that sort of thing.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.