• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grounded Grid Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
#60 DC-coupled valve preamp ...

And a picture of the test circuit ...

Kind regards,
Darius

Attachments

• dc-coupled_valve_amp_bild_1_ darius 30.april_2007.jpg
    dc-coupled_valve_amp_bild_1_ darius 30.april_2007.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 452
They were both saying how this isn't a true grounded Grid. All I was doing was to say, hey go up to Bruce's board and challenge him on it, not here, where he can't even defend his position.
ray, why are we obligated to do that?
This is a public board, and anyone is invited to participate.
The difference is this is an engineering oriented board. Here, using the correct terminology for circuits is important. It facilitates the exchange of Ideas. On a forum dedicated to support and marketing a product, saying that the marketing name does not aligned with the circuit is inappropriate and disrespectful. Two completely different things.
Ray, If you feel compelled to do so, why don't you point this thread to anyone you feel appropriate, and they can join our discussion.

7/10 The circuit you attached is a very standard Long tail Pair, with feedback. What is your question?

Doug

Hi Doug L,

Sorry, but I think you have missed the whole point entirely.

I came on the board asking if anyone had a GGP that I could borrow. I figured that there were people here who had built the kit, and put it aside for something that they might have liked better. Then others came on the board and started bashing whether Bruce's GGP really was a Grounded Grid. Frankly, I could have cared less. All my point was, if they felt that strongly that the GGP really isn't one, they really should be discussing this with Bruce not me. I didn't design the PCB and put together the kit. Everyone knows of Bruce's preamp as a Grounded Grid preamp, or GGP. I'm now sorry I ever posted here and started this thread.

So if you know of anyone who has a GGP, and I can borrow it, fine. Otherwise, I'm out of here.

Ray

7/10 The circuit you attached is a very standard Long tail Pair, with feedback. What is your question?

Doug,
Not to hi-jack, but I have the parts in hand and I thought I'd put the circuit together. Mr. Broskie featured this circuit here and I'm curious as to what to expect; tubecad

Maybe I'll quit dragging my feet and just wire the thing up :)

7/10

Ray,

I already approached Bruce via email about a secured loaner policy and he said no.

Sorry nobody here has one to lend you. Sooooo.........

Go to the GGP forum and challenge Bruce to help you to make a decision via experiencing how his product will perform in your home (since he has no retail network). You give great advice about challenging him. Why don't you take responsibility for achieving what you want (an in home demo of HIS PRODUCT)? Put it on HIM!

Beat on him in his own forum. He has to improve his business plan to remain successful in a downward economy. You can NEVER get comfortable in the business comunity (forward visionary thinking is always necessary) especially if your current marketing policies suck! Now that disposable cash is drying up, this is a good time to re-evaluate what will be necessary to remain competitive in the near future.

Go give him hell, not the guys here!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm not giving anybody here hell at all. It 's just that people came out of the woodwork as it were, and said, "Bruce's preamp is not really a grounded grid preamp." So what. That is the title of it. Unfortunately for Bruce he's not here to defend or be in denial one way or the other on his preamp. That is the only reason I suggested that people a lot more savy then me go up to his forum and tell or ask him why he calls his preamp a grounded grid, when in fact to them it isn't. So, no, I'm not going up to his board and challenge him. I don't have the knowledge enough to do so. I just wanted to borrow one. no one here has a GGP, so that is that. Thanks.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Yeah, but ultimately Bruce can help you and probably so many others that won't buy it if they can't hear it.

You don't need to be technical to define your needs (especially from an average consumer's perspective which is a large population). How will he know to rewrite his business plan if nobody lets him know he is leaving business on the table. I would think most would want to hear it before buying it!

Most of all, I bet your hearing is more kean than than the average customer. DON'T EVER DISCOUNT YOUR NEEDS! Give him the opportunity to accomodate you!

I won't be buying one without an in home demo. LIKE all of the rest of my future audio purchases. No other way to predict my ultimate satisfaction. I will give him hell when I have the money to actually do something!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Demo GGP

Ray,
Haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating this but the Transcendent Sound site has a page titled Associates on which it says "This is a list of people who can demonstrate assembled kits and build them for resale."

Seems like it could go some way to addressing your problem.

All the best,

Jim

jduffy said:

Just google:

rozenblit 12au7 schematic line preamp

Usually the second or third response will have the schematic. Good luck! :D

I've been playing with mine today tweaking it. Great fun and if I blow it up, didn't cost a ton to put together!

Thanks for the suggestion. Would it be possible for you to email me a couple of pics of the top and wiring. I'm still learning layout and following the schematic with a visual layout helps me tremendously.

email at shanemmail-forums at yahoo dot com.

Hi Jimbo51,

Those Associates are there to build your unit for you in case you can't do it yourself. I did talk to one, and might have a deal worked out once I get my own kit. That will be awhile. With the economy on the downside, we're just keeping food on the table and paying the bills. You know how that goes.Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

Ray Bronk

It seems that Bruce Rozenblit can't take much criticism. After a few exchanges, on his message board, about the validity of calling a cathode-coupled amplifier "grounded-grid", he deleted the thread.

Heh. I know this is an old thread, but I wonder how long a list there is of audio gurus who only hang out in their own forums where they can control what's said and what's deleted. Rosenblit's attitude in his writing and posting assures me I would not invite him out for a brew. But I'll read his books.

I can certainly think of one more luminary--who shall remain nameless--who fits on this list.

Jim

I was always puzzled why a cathode-coupled amplifier got called grounded grid. Two problems with that:
1. there is a real amplifier architecture called grounded grid, but this is rarely used for audio,
2. if feedback is applied to the second grid it isn't grounded anyway!

Another name for this amp is Short-Tailed Pair (STP) - but that name seems to be unpopular. Maybe people like to brag about how long their tail is?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.