Greetings from Toronto

I've been a lurker on this board for a few years now. But since I'm now taking part a bit more actively, I thought a formal introduction might be in order. I'm a psychiatrist living in Toronto. I'm a pretty casual DIY'er, and mostly with tubes and speakers, building from plans and schematics devised by others, and have done very little with solid state devices.

I've attached pictures of my main rig, which consists of:

Nottingham Interspace turntable with RS Labs RS-A1 Tonearm, Hana SL cart and Lundahl step ups.

Hagerman Cornet phono stage.

Schiit "Gumby" DAC

Pass B1 Buffer linestage

45 DRD amp designed by Jack Elliano

Open baffle speakers with Lowther PM6A and Tone Tubby woofer per design by Jon Ver Halen when he ran Lowther America. I do find these speakers a bit light in the bass and still have some of that infamous "shout". My crystal ball tells me there is a pair of SLOBs in my future. Hopefully that doesn't just
mean my kids will be moving back in.

Thanks for having me aboard!

Attachments

• OB.jpg
    OB.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 92
  • rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 80
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome from the Left Coast.

I had to look up the Gumby (aka Gungdnir) — same as mine.

I have heard the DRD amp as well. VERY good. Are you bi-amping?

The only caveat i have is the use of the word hemp wrt their cones, the only thing hemp related with them is that the manilla they use was touted as a substitute for hemp when it was made illegal in 1938. I got a very nasty phone call from a principal after revealing that.

Doesn’y mean they don’t sound great just that the marketing is very misleading.

dave

I have heard the DRD amp as well. VERY good. Are you bi-amping?
No, the speakers use a passive crossover. But if I go ahead and build the SLOB I'll have to.
The only caveat i have is the use of the word hemp wrt their cones, the only thing hemp related with them is that the manilla they use was touted as a substitute for hemp when it was made illegal in 1938.
They weren't marketing them as hemp cones when I bought them. It's good to know that, if I replace then in the audio speakers, I can still put them into a guitar amp.

They may well have decided to be more truthful
I bought mine maybe about ten years ago, so the hemp angle would be something they started pushing after my purchase. I do notice the specs of the current Alnico Red 12" are different than I recall (100 dB sensitivity vs 96) so I wonder if they changed the cone material after I bought mine. Anyway, like you say, what matters is how they sound, and they sound quite good.