Greatings from No. California. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow amplifier/speaker builders! Thought it would be appropriate to do an introduction before diving into some discussion. I started building tube guitar amplification and then started to dabble in DIY audio experimentation. My background however is in semiconductor/digital engineering, going back a few years. Looking forward to learning from the knowledge base here. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Greetings firstwatt -and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

errr - I don't wish to embarrass you as I'm sure you put a fair amount of thought into your screen name - but what the heck - it's gonna hit the fan sooner or later. There is another esteemed member of the diyAudio community that lives in NorCal named Nelson Pass. He owns a little company by the name First Watt. Just thought you would like a heads up on that one.

Fortunately "Papa" Pass is a nice and gentle sort of guy and not prone to taking people out behind the barn for "a little talk". :wchair:

But then there is that legal thing about trademarks etc. that can get - as our British friends would say - "a bit sticky wicket".

This should get interesting - but in the end I don't suspect that it will be any big deal. :rolleyes:

Thank You! Yes, I had heard of first watt as a concept from Nelson Pass, as I have attended the last 2 Burning Amp shows. I did not know it was a registered trademark though. I chose it as more of a tribute to his concept of achieving great sound at the origin of the signal amplification, if I have that correct. I wouldn't hesitate to change it if necessary though. Thanks for the welcomes. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank You! Yes, I had heard of first watt as a concept from Nelson Pass, as I have attended the last 2 Burning Amp shows. I did not know it was a registered trademark though. I chose it as more of a tribute to his concept of achieving great sound at the origin of the signal amplification, if I have that correct. I wouldn't hesitate to change it if necessary though. Thanks for the welcomes. :)

Hi firstwatt - I'm sure that Papa would be honored by your tribute - and it doesn't look like any smoke coming up from anywhere so I'm guessing things are ok. Wellllllllll - understand that that's a guess on my part - not a guarantee. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmm........ if ya do get in a jam how about 1.0000001 watt?:rofl:

Better yet - first 0.99999 watt? ;)

Again - Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

BTW - I lived near Sacramento Ca. for like 30 years - not that that's anything to brag about....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
One would think that in a major recording area like Nashville TN that there would be a buncha DIY audio freaks - but that is not the case at all.

My experience with people in the recording business (Nashville, L.A., SF Bay area) is that many (if not most) of the performers have cr*p at home for an audio system. They usually are performing at clubs or concerts or tied up in the studio and by the time they get home they simply don't have much interest in listening to MORE MUSIC! :headbash: Well it's understandable - after a few days screwing around in da room with all of the dials - pots - meters - and electronic thingies the last thing I would have on my mind is going home and listening to some more music.

Plus - most of 'em have better things to do than screwing around with home audio gear. Things like writing - recording - performing - looking for a new gig - new band - - - - - new career :eek:

OTOH - a lot of those musician kids can get serious about "tweaking" their amps or instruments!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.