Great rock albums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to work with a guy who spent some time playing for the Captain

If the myths are true he spent a LOT of time playing for the captain who is/was a bit of a perfectionist !!

Unfortunately I never did get to see CB live, despite the fact that there were regular gigs in my home town but they were so badly publicised that I only got to know about after the fact :bawling: :bawling:

Dave

Everything by Jeff Buckley, what a badass he is.

Lets see...

Everything by The Verve
Everything by Radiohead
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Slowdive - Pygmalion
Slowdive - Slouvaki
Doves - Lost Souls
Doves - Last Broadcast
I second all the Suede stuff
Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lantern
The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
The Pixies - ... nevermind, everything by The Pixies
Everything by The Shins
The Beta Band - Hot Shots II
Cocteau Twins - Treasure

etc.

For all you Jeff Buckley fans, check out the new album by Turin Brakes, it's wonderful.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm currently listening to Melissa Etheridges debut album.

It's the only album of hers I have listened to but I really like it.

Its got pretty full on and heart wrenching lyrics and she has a great (slightly husky) voice. good clean sound, I'd say not over produced.

Regards,

Tony.

Attachments

• melissa.jpg
    melissa.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 199
Bought the debut album of Jet which is called "get born".
They were lucky enough to get a major record deal for their first album and I say it´s one of the best rock albums I´ve listened to that is not older than 15 years or something.
Great lyrics, emotional and melodic ballads and kicking rock songs.
Reminds me of The Who and Rolling stones in places.
Songs like "move on" could have been from Pink Floyd.
"rollover dj", "get what you need" and "are you gonna be my girl" just kick butt.

Highly recommended!

Cheers
Jens

Attachments

• b0000aqvcl.03.mzzzzzzz.jpg
    b0000aqvcl.03.mzzzzzzz.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 183
Vivek said:
Does anyone like Skid Row, GNR or Nirvana?

I am a HUGE GNR fan, have Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion 1 on gold plated original master recording CD's. Also have loads of the singles on vinyl. I can't believe no-one has mentioned Appetite for Destruction!!!

The album I am listening to most at the moment is The Verve - Urban Hymns, absolutely amazing, and i'm trying to make a cover of Lucky Man but struggling to get my guitar hooked up to the PC at the right levels.

Has anyone mentioned Tom Petty?? I think he is amazing too, maybe not so well known in the UK.

Matt

Also, i've seen no mentions of more heavier, edgier bands. I'd like to cast my vote for Fear Factory, a band i've discovered recently; if you never liked modern metal, it's a good start. They do an excellent mix of heavy guitars, electronics, sampling and even poppy choruses.

"Obsolete" is my current favourite of theirs, closely followed by "Archetype". "Digimortal" is also good and easier to get into (more "radio-friendly", if you want).

GREAT rock albums:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." (Disk one, side one will sweep you up in a whirlwind of sound and drop you exhausted onto the floor.)

Gov't Mule, self-titled and "Dose" (to boogie hard.)

Chris Whitley, "Dirt Floor" and "Perfect Day" (because quiet music can be more powerful than loud music.)

Patti Smith, "Horses" (gorgeous post-punk warbling) and her latest, "Trampin'."

PJ Harvey, almost anything she does (I think she learned her lessons from Patti. Warning: The faint of heart should perhaps refrain.)

Jeff Buckley, "Grace" (of course; seems stupid to leave it out.)

Queens of the Stone Age, anything (solid wall to wall riffing.)

The White Stripes, self-titled (punk meets the blues.)

The Allman Bros Band, "Hittin' the Note" (proving that they can still do it.)

Jack Bruce, "Songs for a Taylor" (debut solo album from the "Cream" of tune-smiths.)

Coldplay, "Parachutes" (beautifully melancholic.)

Tom Waits, "Rain Dogs" and a whole bunch of other stuff...

Soft Machine, "Three" and "Five" (for (my own) old time's sake.)

Those are just a few that are on or near the top of the stack at the moment. I have to check out Bjork's latest, and Ben Harper with the Blind Boys of Alabama...

Spirit by Spirit; Fresh Garbage, Topanga Canyon: all the cuts were really new sounding in the midst of self-indulgent acidy stuff like Magical Mystery Tour and Satanic Majesties
Al Kooper's Blood, Sweat and Tears that created "Child Is Father To the Man" fantastic blues and very well recorded. Not to be confused with the later group even if they did have the smarts to do Laura Nyro tunes. Compare the horn arrangements between "Child.." and "Blood, Sweat,etc.." and see the quality Kooper got. Every drop of spit in it's place just like Count Basie!
Chieftains "Tears Of Stone". Are Irish Folk Ballads rock n roll? Listen to the field drum on the Bonnie Raitt cut and decide. Rocks me! Gorgeous recording of female voices, flute and authentic Irish instruments.

My contribution:

Electric six -kinda like queen of the stone age-

Kasabian -its a britpop rockband, with samples. Very easy to like.

Psychotic Waltz -although more metal oriantated this band delivers very nice songs. I recommend the album Mosquito. Its only on Emule-

Mother love bone - this is former Pearl Jam, same style but more flowing. Look for "crowns of thorns" and "this is shanggrila" I can say U will love this if u like Pearl jam.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Bill Epstein:

Thank you so much for mentioning Spirit and the original Blood, Sweat & Tears, (first album only). They certainly belong on the list.

Dealing with the obvious choices, one album allowed from each:

The Beatles: Rubber Soul
The Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed

Two more to add to the list:
The Doors first album
Love: Forever Changes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.