Graphene capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone :cheers:

I've been hearing a lot lately about the graphene capacitor. I must admit I find it intriguing but I can only understand so much about it. I've seen the clips as a layman and I'd like to know...how does that translate for our beloved Audio hobby? :) I've seen some processes that enable you to diy it...at home!
I am interested if it can be easily produced for specific values, if the industrial process will be expensive, if it will overthrow the "old" style caps... Would it be a good candidate for audio use, high capacitance, low impedance?
I still don't know if it can hold a charge over a long period of time, maybe it's applications will be something like replacing recharging batteries etc
How will the current companies adopt the technology and what would be the most desirable areas where this would make the most dramatic change in our everyday lives?

I'd love the input of skilled people here, it will be interesting once it shows up for consumer use.
Some videoclips on this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtM6XJlynkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oEFwyoWKXo

Researchers develop new technique to scale up production of graphene micro-supercapacitors

"The UCLA researchers have developed a groundbreaking technique that uses a DVD burner to fabricate micro-scale graphene-based supercapacitors..."

"... Instead, we used a consumer-grade LightScribe DVD burner to produce graphene micro-supercapacitors over large areas at a fraction of the cost of traditional devices. Using this technique, we have been able to produce more than 100 micro-supercapacitors on a single disc in less than 30 minutes, using inexpensive materials."

"The process is straightforward, cost-effective and can be done at home," El-Kady said. "One only needs a DVD burner and graphite oxide dispersion in water, which is commercially available at a moderate cost."

Last edited:
Researchers develop new technique to scale up production of graphene micro-supercapacitors

"The UCLA researchers have developed a groundbreaking technique that uses a DVD burner to fabricate micro-scale graphene-based supercapacitors..."

"... Instead, we used a consumer-grade LightScribe DVD burner to produce graphene micro-supercapacitors over large areas at a fraction of the cost of traditional devices. Using this technique, we have been able to produce more than 100 micro-supercapacitors on a single disc in less than 30 minutes, using inexpensive materials."

"The process is straightforward, cost-effective and can be done at home," El-Kady said. "One only needs a DVD burner and graphite oxide dispersion in water, which is commercially available at a moderate cost."

I wouldn't put liquid on a DVD, then let it spin in the drive. I'm not familiar with the Light-scribe inner workings but I reckon that since the laser head can only move side to side then the disc must be rotating. Centrifugal force would transform the drive into a door stop.
I guess you could stack the thin films for more capacitance?

perhaps it would make a good material for transistors. Start with a single plane of graphene, low resistance would be an asset. Electrons would be sourced from one side and drain at the other side. The graphene sheet would be a control element. It will behave like a triode. The sheet is thin enough that ballistic electrons will pass through it.

maybe some nice speakers could use this stuff - those electrostatic types.

And some success in carbon nanotubes too.

All transistors are analog. Some are just USED in off and saturation mode.

I think they were referring to the application type rather than transistor type.

Another potential great application of graphene:

Graphene's solar cell potential revealed by photon absorption | News | The Engineer

‘In most materials, one absorbed photon generates one electron, but in the case of graphene, we have seen that one absorbed photon is able to produce many excited electrons, and therefore generate larger electrical signals’ said Frank Koppens, group leader at ICFO.

Read more: Graphene's solar cell potential revealed by photon absorption | News | The Engineer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.