Gr33tings

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Greetings, I am newbie here and to this type of thing. I've always been the type to go bust my rear to get nice new audio gear. Mostly because of the situations that I have been in for most of my life. Still am in a way but now it's more because of space than people. I'm 51 and on my own for the first time since my early 20s and even then it was only for a short time. Now my issue is that I can only afford to live in a small (<700sq/ft) apartment and I have to be somewhat careful to not bother other tenants who are generally nosey and have nothing better to do than gossip and complain about what I am doing. I also have no storage or other means to keep much of anything. I do rent a small storage unit at a facility but that's only good for keeping stuff, not for working or tinkering with anything and it's a few miles away so it's not convenient to transport stuff around between here and there while working on a project. I still do some small stuff that doesn't require a lot of space nor make too much noise at night. I have a makeshift hobby table set up in my room and a few small projects to work on when I have time. I mostly refurbish decent speakers and the occaisional cleaning and minor repair jobs to receivers that are worth saving.
I'm in Denver, CO. U.S. and am a commercial construction paint job foreman by trade but music and good audio equipment has always been my passion. I am also an amature gunsmith and general firearm enthusiast and I take old decent quality mountain bikes and update the components, ride them for awhile to work the bugs out and then either sell them or trade for audio equipment, vinyl records, or anything to do with guns. I can paint and otherwise refinish just about anything as well so that helps out in all the things I play around with.

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Thanks Dave! Hopefully I can gain some insight into how some of my favorite things work. I've been around stereo equipment and now AV all my life but I really don't know very much about it. I found the site from a search of how to make an amplifier out of recycled gear. I got some new speakers and my AVR isn't adequate to power them so I went shopping for a separate amp for them and I just can't afford what they want for anything decent, old or new. I have some stuff kicking around from past systems and car audio stuff from previous installs so I want to take a shot at building an amp. I may not have everything I need but although I refuse to scrape and save enough for a fancy new amp, I am willing and able to spend a few bucks on the necessary parts and components to build one. That's where I need help as I know nothing really about the different types and what they are made of or how they do what they do. Even though I'm an enthusiast, I have never taken the time or effort to learnabout them any more than what the manual has for turning it on and using it.
I started a thread in the parts section, looking for a basic list of what I need to build a simple 2 channel amp to drive my new speakers from the pre-outs of the AVR.