Gotham & Son Mercer Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to speaker building, but have woodworking experience. Recently I came across Gotham & Son Mercer speakers and I like the design. I'd like to build my own using dovetail joinery. The problem is I know nothing about speaker design and have no idea what is inside these boxes. Where do I inform myself and start the speaker building process?

Thanks, Seth

Look up Gotham & Son Mercer speakers. I'm not sure if I can link here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DSC00173_41_grande.jpg

Seth, looks like a Tangband 3" in an oversize box, with a big resonant space under it.

Nothing special about the joinery (but joint plywood). Have a look around, lots of proven small speakers you could make using a dovetail

dave

DSC00173_41_grande.jpg

Seth, looks like a Tangband 3" in an oversize box, with a big resonant space under it.

Nothing special about the joinery (but joint plywood). Have a look around, lots of proven small speakers you could make using a dovetail

Yeah, I saw the Tangband 3" at Parts Express and thought it looked about right.

Where do I find proven small speaker designs you speak of? I can find kits, but few actual drawings/plans with theory explained behind them. I'd like to know some theory but also practical design issues involved in small speaker making. I've seen the Frugal Horn plans in the massive upright configuration.

Do you think these Mercer speakers have a down pointing port into the empty space below the speaker?

Thanks for your patience,
Seth

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wonder if this is a big vent reflex (BVR) design? There are designs around but generally I have never seen one for a 3 in driver. Perhaps the design may be similar to this?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You might want to check out the "Full Range" speaker forum for ideas and folks there can help.
Looking at this photo from their website it appears that there is a panel underneath so that it does appear to be a BVR without a bottom - the floor or whatever it sits on serves as the bottom of the horn vent.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.