Got huge heatsinks - which amp to build ?

Which amp to build ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OS
Have you or anyone else summarised the different versions of your amps or are they parts of the modular amp you described earlier?

Part of the problem is keeping track of the different iterations and the differences to the resultant sound.

Also I like to understand how things work and why a particular decision was made, but it does make for slow progress. Sometimes I give in on the knowledge bit and just build it, so I can sniff more solder fumes ;-)

They are parts of the modular "system" The AX (blameless) and GX are not only up and working but have some hard "miles on them" the GX is the best sounding one to date. It rates with the $7000 genesis stealth class A with my good ears.
It beats a symasym or blameless hands down. The AX(blameless) and CX(symasym) are both very nice sounding but the GX has that little extra detail and better bass than any of them.

I even blew one of the GX's by being a idiot and the voltage stage totally survived. What a test ... it's idiotproof as well as good sounding.

Oh , and how it works (and why it's different). It uses a hawksford/luxman VAS , this negates some of the shortcomings of BJT amplification , also the cap multipliers and carefully laid out input section helps to make for superior reproduction , it also is balanced and very linear like the APT1 amp and the symasym (matching 180 degree out of phase signal at the input pair). low .003% THD out to above 30K is the result.
OS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.