Goodbye Alps Pot! TU8600

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Gain is more than sufficient of TU-8600. It does not need any preamp as it has an input sensitivity of 320 mV so 0.32V for full output. With normal 2Vrms sources any extra gain will be detrimental and totally useless (more amplified noise and added distortion), even more so without the volume control. In another thread you can read that the TU-8600 goes well or even best with a passive switch box. What the device needs is a source selector and more inputs, nothing else.

If the volume control made noise worse above 10 o clock then you should have even more noise without the potentiometer as the amplifier is "open" so full volume. It does give the impression that there is something wrong with grounds not with volume control. Or is there another device in the vicinity that strays 60 Hz hum?

Please rethink actions and decisions. First make the device according specifications and find the cause of the hum. It would help if you add pictures so many here can see what is wrong or should be changed.

Last edited:
I have an Elekit TU8600s with the updated TKD pot from Victor. I want to use my tube Conrad Johnson preamp and it's inputs and don't want the sound to suffer.
How do I remove the pot. It sounds like the amp may sound better without the pot when using a good preamp.
Can you email or share a diagram of the pot removal and what you did to improve the sound of your Elekit TU8600.

t