Good replacment for BB OPA 2604/604

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Upupa Epops said:
To Carlos : It's nice thing to change opamps is socket and listen difference, but do you ask sometimes WHY you hear it ? You don't need some explanation ?

The explanation depends on the circuit it is used on, and there is the right part for the right job, but if one sounds consistently superior to the other then it is superior.
We are talking audio, aren't we?

How much time do you need to evaluate, without using your ears?
You can even end up using an "inferior" op-amp with more (specified) noise than the other on a phono preamp if it sounds clearly superior.

Upupa Epops said:
To Gaucho : I was talking anything about corelation between measuring of distortion and listening naturality. Exist even several parametres, which are similarly important for listening impression. Don't talk about subjectivism, it is in this case nonsens, because although people can hear differently reproduced sound, the same differently hear LIVE music and so both listenigs have common " correction ". I can find correlation between " by eyes reading " and " by ears listening " and I mean, that although is it hard ( and to this time not all known ), once will come time, when it will be clear. But I am talking about correlation between measuring, listening and live music, not about " musicality of reproduction chain ", 'cos it is brainwashing, by which can manufacturers sale his .... products. BTW, " subjectivism " is offten used word by them.

To deny the fact all perception is subjective is truely a head in the sand approach. Using live music as a benchmark for reproduced sound maybe helpful to some end but will not shield you from subjective interpretation:

Upupa, in a previous post I stated preference for op-amps by 'general consensus' of a group of peers plus myself. I did this for good reason. We evaluated the the AD823 and the LM6172 back-to-back, we all agreed on that the AD823 had a more detailed sweeter top-end and that the LM6172 although less detailed had a richer mid-range. I myself felt the 823 was more natural or 'live' but some felt the LM6172 did better job approximating live music.

Would measurements helped with our dissagreement? Of course not, because what constitutes teh best 'live' reproduction is again highly subjective and personal. I reiterate: using live music as a benchmark for reproduced will not provide you with the resolution (no pun intended) you seek.

carlosfm said:

Right.
The Philips sounds "digital" :rolleyes:, the TI sounds right, but both have a problem:
It is quite evident the lack of midbass on the NE5532 and the NE5534.
One example is Norah Jones' voice, it sounds thin, without "body".
I have always found out that many brands use the NEs on CDPs because it can make a "jittery" CDP sound tighter.:clown:
It is not neutral, it is just compensating for a defect that comes from the digital seccion, it gives the illusion of more correct because the lack of midbass compensates for the boomy sound of a CDP plagued with jitter (the most common problem).
And then there's a distinct lack of harmonics that is present on the best op-amps but not on the NEs.

I've used the NEs in an old cheap Pioneer CDP, the result was exactly what you describe; I didn't realize jitter was the source of the CDP's 'boomy' sound.

Originally posted by Carlos Conclusion: you can read specs and datasheets like there's no tomorrow, you will only know what an op-amp is capable of when you listen to it.:angel:

Sometimes I like it when people challenge my beliefs...and sometimes It's nice when people tell me what I like to hear. ;)

Now then Gaucho, I thought you didn't want an argument

Guilty.

But in my own defense:

Judgeing form the tone of post #107 and from past experience I thought it would be impossible to have a debate that do anything but degenerate into another 'mud slinging' contest. I was wrong. Thankfully you set a great initial tone for the debate and that paved the way for a productive disscusion that I was happy to participate in.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions of the OPA2132.

Upupa Epops said:
To Gaucho and Carlos : I was asking about correlarion between internal structure ( internal connection in general ) of opamps and listening results. Without this explanation we can only wait for better and better ones, what don't satisfied me, but OK, we all are different.

My experience is inadequate to provide any convincing correlation between subjective listening, measurements and op-amp structure.

OK, I'm ready. What do you can listen ? Some " color " account by words, how sound every types of silicon devices ? Or how sound Wishay's bulk metal resistors agaist normal carbon ones ? Be sure, that if is difference listenable, I listen quite the same like you, but I'm searching explanation and you not. That's all what I can say to this theme.

Upupa Epops said:
OK, I'm ready. What do you can listen ? Some " color " account by words, how sound every types of silicon devices ? Or how sound Wishay's bulk metal resistors agaist normal carbon ones ? Be sure, that if is difference listenable, I listen quite the same like you, but I'm searching explanation and you not. That's all what I can say to this theme.

There's a lot of confusion in your head, you are mixing active and passive devices and putting everything on the same bag.
You didn't explain yet (or I didn't understand?) what explanations are you looking for.
"Types of silicon devices"?:confused:
You are more vague than the words to describe a sound that you don't understand.
Some types of silicon sound brown, others sound yellow, others sound right.:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.