Good replacment for BB OPA 2604/604

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gaucho said:
I believe there are some varying opinions about this but the op-amps that I've tried I have heard little difference when socketed compared to soldered. Use a good quality dual leaf socket like Aries Electronics part no. C9108.
Great, I'll use a socket. I cannot see that part number on their website, or on Farnell's. But I think I know roughly what I'm looking for... something like this?
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4168549&N=401

Thanks,
Simon

I like this type of sockets

Attachments

• perfectsocket.jpg
    perfectsocket.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,544
Gaucho,
I'm getting them from a local surplus store: Sayal. I believe they also have a website. If you need some of them, contact me through e-mail and I will send you a couple. To me, those are as invisible as socket can be, and Madrigal is using same thing on OPA627 in this DAC board:

Attachments

• 30_6dac_lo.jpg
    30_6dac_lo.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,519
Peter, thanks for the kind offer. I did find their site but unfortunately they have nothing listed under 'IC Socket'.

What are your opinions of the AD826 and the OPA8620? I have yet to try them. And please tell me what are your favorite op-amps, I'm still searching for my Holy Grail.

BTW I don't know if you remember but awhile back I forwarded your contact info to an aquaintence (Dennis), he bought a set of your mono-blocs and is very happy with them. I haven't been over to his place to hear them yet (he is haveing some problems with his turntable) but I look forward to it. :)

SimonY, if you don't mind a little more work, make up a daughterboard to carry two single opamps. Get another JRC2114 and use just one half of each opamp.

If you prefer a musical sound as opposed to a 'hi-fi' sound, this is an excellent candidate.

The daughterboard will also allow you to try single opamps. ;)

Nuuk said:
SimonY, if you don't mind a little more work, make up a daughterboard to carry two single opamps. Get another JRC2114 and use just one half of each opamp.

If you prefer a musical sound as opposed to a 'hi-fi' sound, this is an excellent candidate.

The daughterboard will also allow you to try single opamps. ;)
Hi Nuuk,

I am taken aback by your suggestion to re-try JRC2114. Presumably this is on the basis that a single sounds much better than a double!

If I can make a double-socket/daughterboard by fixing together several sockets I might give it a go!

Have you compared that to any of 2604, 2132/4, LM6172, or AD826? I do recall reading on your excellent website that you did some op-amp comparisons, but I think that was for an active filter, not a cdp output stage.

regards
Simon

My experiments with opamps are mainly in buffers to use with a GC. But if an opamp has a particular sound, it should be so in any circuit, depending on how much the rest of that circuit affects the sound quality!

I haven't done so myself, but I believe you can replace your opamp with a socket. Then make up the daughtboard with two single sockets, decoupling caps etc. The connections from the daughterboard plug into the socket on the CD PCB. This makes it comparitely easy/fast to try out different opamps. :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.