Good replacement driver for the Adire Maelstrom 18"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18 substitute

Yeah you really need to include twin 4 by 17 ports for the sim to be correct
Try the Dayton um-22 ultimax for fun too
Mark
Dayton Audio UM18-22 vs. Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18 vs. Stereo Integrity HT 18

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax ($279.90 - price@PE link) has the advantage of having 1 or 2dBs plus in the infrasonic region or U-LF extension in relation to the Maelstrom 18 (for same alignment.)
Note: use the latest data for simulation, 2015 version T/S parameters.:D
It's the closest driver in production to the Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18, (reference for the Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18 parameters here, please name another source/link if yours is different), together with the Stereo Integrity HT 18 ($159.00 - price from the website here) again, using this alignment and ports set by the OP and original document.

The Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference being another driver but presenting already some ripple for this same alignment (not benefiting from such a big enclosure), and making the three in production in the market, altogether with the Maelstrom, having similar or the closest driver parameters (for this alignment that was simulated.)

The reference sensitivity (0dB/2.83V/m) for all of them is as such:
Dayton Audio UM18-22 - 88.2 dB
Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18 - 90.7 dB
Stereo Integrity HT 18 - 91.9 dB
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 - 92.6 dB

If you gonna use the Dayton Audio UM18-22 make also the unmistakable test of using/testing it sealed just blocking the ports, (just a test as I said) maybe you will be amazed with the U_Lower_Frequencies than with the reflex... yes! No? In sealed mode you can use about 620W with absolute no distortion, obvious more in reflex mode. (Driver reference RMS 1,000 watts.)

Interesting. Was googling Adire Audio when I found this thread.

My oldest son and I built two cylindrical subwoofers for his side gig DJ work. That was about 13 years ago. We used 22" diameter sewer pipes. The sidewalls were 3/4" thick. You could sit on the pipe laid flat and not be able to flex it.

Either way, the drivers for those subwoofers were 18" Maelstroms. Still have those babies in my basement. Just sitting there waiting for my son to get that big house to put it in, if he so chooses. He is now an anasthesiologist in training.

Anyone interested?

Andy

btw. I built, using the same piece of pipe, a 74c.l. ported sub with a 15" Tempest. The music tones are so sweet. Funny thing, it sounds better with my old Pioneer Elite receiver than my newer Denon Atmos enabled unit.

Still have 4 feet of that green sewer pipe.

Interesting. Was googling Adire Audio when I found this thread.

My oldest son and I built two cylindrical subwoofers for his side gig DJ work. That was about 13 years ago. We used 22" diameter sewer pipes. The sidewalls were 3/4" thick. You could sit on the pipe laid flat and not be able to flex it.

Either way, the drivers for those subwoofers were 18" Maelstroms. Still have those babies in my basement. Just sitting there waiting for my son to get that big house to put it in, if he so chooses. He is now an anasthesiologist in training.

Anyone interested?

Andy

btw. I built, using the same piece of pipe, a 74c.l. ported sub with a 15" Tempest. The music tones are so sweet. Funny thing, it sounds better with my old Pioneer Elite receiver than my newer Denon Atmos enabled unit.

Still have 4 feet of that green sewer pipe.

Just came across this, do you still have the Maelstroms ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.