Good reasonable cost mikes for live recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'd look at the Rode mic's (their website is worth a look too) it particular the NT4 or NT1.
stable, good quality stands are also very important and are as important as the mic's themselves IMHO. you'll also have to start a collection of xlr cables and matching transformers and adapters.

did your Nagra come with any cable assemblies with the Tuchel connectors?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What polar pattern are you looking for?

What polar pattern am I looking for?
I want to make recordings of solists and/or small combo's in private venues, that's the opportunities I will have here.
Similar to your house concerts, but maybe with 3-person combo's in a slightly larger venue.

Also, it seems advantageous, being less intruding, to use one of those combined stereo mikes or a duo on a single mount.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
i'd look at the Rode mic's (their website is worth a look too) it particular the NT4 or NT1.
stable, good quality stands are also very important and are as important as the mic's themselves IMHO. you'll also have to start a collection of xlr cables and matching transformers and adapters.

did your Nagra come with any cable assemblies with the Tuchel connectors?

NT4 is probably more than I want to pay right now for getting my feet wet. Looking for something up till say $ 200 for a pair.

I have most cables with the Tuchels but yes will need more.

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Surely you build something as per Scott's articles? :)

BTW jealous, those old Nagras are lovely to behold.

Its a lovely machine, impeccably build, clearly a lot of thought went into it.

It is also interesting to see the schematics - these guys did with 2 or 3 transistors what would take us half a dozen of opamps!
And the live recordings I got with it sound absolutely stunning.

I'd like to build Scotts' stuff, might do that but right now too impatient - want to get going :cool:

Jan

As another possibility, on which Nagra really specialized, you might get a pair of these to record conversations with Mafia heads and drug cartel leaders, or maybe shady arms dealers:
small.jpg

none less than the FBI designed and approved covert surveillance microphone for their fleet of Nagra body hidden recorders:
small.jpg

full.jpg

for the full, *real* Nagra Spy story:
Nagra JBR
Nagra SN
Nagra PS-1

now you only need a miniature Minox camera and a silenced Walter PPK pistol and you are fully equipped :)

That said, I am *drooling* over your purchase :)

Last edited:
See recordinghacks.com for mike specs
Depending on source how much fidelity you want. Piano or cymbals/bells, ultimate freq response 15k minimum. Horns, string instruments 12k is fine. For Voice SM58 is the standard at short distances from the mixer (dynamic) If musicians walk around, mike needs severe freq cut below 150 hz. If seated and piano or organ included, you want flat to 30 hz. Hand held use needs freq cut below 300 hz.
if several misicians blend themselves two wide cardioides work well. If they expect the producer to balance the levels, individual instrument close mikes are necessary and a multi input mixer. If the hall ambience adds a lot to the sound and the audience is quiet, omni patterm is desired.
For self blended groups the local music TV shows use ksm32 or ksm27. They may be ksm44 with multipattern, but those shows have audiences I can't see them using omni patterm. KET Jubilee and Woodsongs. I can't identify the individual instrument mikes they use.
If musicians use floor monitors, individual supercardiode mikes are required.
I record piano & organ and own KSM27 at $140 for one and $80 for the other. No other mike in my 46 years of owning a Sony R2R has been marginally acceptable. KSM32 & 27 both have switchable bass cut filters in the mike. I'm adressing the 5 db vocal rise of the KSM27 with a foam filter, even for no vocalist.
I didn't bother with import ****, I've heard too many bad amateur recordings from people that brag on them . The school district owned sennhauser, those recordings were **** on symphonic band. Rock guitar, any old **** will do as long as the spl rating is high enough. I was in a vocal only group that recorded on genuine 50's RCA ribbon mikes, those were pretty good on that source. But all the bad RCA orchestra LP's from the 50's prove the ribbon mikes were terrible at violins & orchestra. Toscanini, Horowitz, Runenstein, historic recordings of great artists made with **** mikes. But neumann mikes were $$$$ back then and still are.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have a Nagra 4SJ from the early 70s I sourced from the collection station for 50 Euros some years ago. One recording channel is disfunctional, but I did not fix that until now. Simply because I do not have any approprioate magnetic tape.
And, to be honest, for small venues I would prefer a zoom recorder with integrated mics.
Not that stylish, but ways better sound quality;)

What exactly do you want to do?

Stereo pair in a room and a band plays?
Mic each instrument individually?

For the former, I'd go for a pair of the old dual-diaphragm AKG C3000 mics. They're black, green stripe, 3 red switches. The newer versions are reportedly not as good. Around £100 a piece over here, and I find them very very good. They sound like whatever you put them in front of.

For the latter, you'll find a million different opinions. I love my EV N/D mics. IMO, they sound a bit nicer than the SM58/57 standards. SM58s and SM57s are also often faked, so finding the genuine article can be difficult when buying 2nd hand.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.