Good PolyFill Option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the stuffing feels slippery, it won't work worth a darn. I tested several types. Wool, cotton, FG, acoust-stuff, and 2 Lb foam were all in the same class. FG better is subs, cotton maybe better in reflections. The poly was far worse. I tested by comparing the Fs and Qts of sealed systems. So I fill my sealed subs with FG. Notice acousta-stuff is bonded, not totally loose fibers. Will it work? Test it yourself!

If the stuffing feels slippery, it won't work worth a darn. I tested several types. Wool, cotton, FG, acoust-stuff, and 2 Lb foam were all in the same class. FG better is subs, cotton maybe better in reflections. The poly was far worse.

I am somewhat confused by the role of speaker stuffing, like polyfil. If u don't use it, what effect will it have? is it the resonance or amount of bass? seems like polyfil is usually stuff used, but tvrgeek says poly was far worse...

Fill does two things. One is to reduce midrange reflections. My testing says the cotton stuff does that best by a tiny margin.

Second is to modify the Q of the enclosure. In a sealed box, you can often move as much as .05 or more. That may equate to 10 or 15% volume. Ported boxes are a bit more complex. You can also change the Q of a ported box, but it may have a bigger effect on the F3, and not in a good way. So yes, amount of bass, but more or less is not always clear until you test.

Most, and I use that word carefully, sealed boxes are stuffed. I would always stuff a midrange box. I usually at least lightly stuff a ported box, but I do a lot of measuring and listening. No easy answer to "just do this" I found what works in a 20L box may not work in a 2L, and a 60 is different still.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.