Good pair of speakers for <$200/pair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I ws going to built the BK-16 but now I'v started constructing a set of Bushhorns. While the BK-16 was very small , the Bushhorns are even smaller. I'm using the Mk-2 plan that is 99cm tall. I've noticed the Horn Shop plans at 30-in tall. I didn't see what driver it is actuall using but I assume it is a Fostex. I just wondered why the size diff? Also, I noticed several mentions of the FE103A but not the FE103E that is available at Madisound. Is the 103E not suitable?

Oh, another reason I decided to go with the Bushhorn was the price diff between it and the BK-16. The BK-16 will probably be over $300 more. I'm also using a couple of S5 K501 monoblocks and a Foreplay, so I didn't want to go crazy on the speakers until I build a set of Paramours.
Thanks,
Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jhovis said:
Guys, I ws going to built the BK-16 but now I'v started constructing a set of Bushhorns. While the BK-16 was very small , the Bushhorns are even smaller. I'm using the Mk-2 plan that is 99cm tall. I've noticed the Horn Shop plans at 30-in tall. I didn't see what driver it is actuall using but I assume it is a Fostex. I just wondered why the size diff? Also, I noticed several mentions of the FE103A but not the FE103E that is available at Madisound. Is the 103E not suitable?

The Horn uses an FE108ESigma, and being smaller doesn't go as low... the BHorn Mk II was actually designed for the FE103E, just that around here we have lots of RS40-1197s & FE103As...

dave

Thanks guys, I'll just buy the 103E from Mad. Now, I have another question about the Bhorn Mk-2. I noticed a filter on this site: http://www.geocities.com/northbirdten/buschhorn_mkii.htm
(the site now seems to be over it's alloted bandwidth) However, I didn't see exactly what the components for this filter were. I also saw some of the earlier posts about wood plugs. I've never built a single driver system and I'm used to building speakers with xovers. Does anyone have the info on this filter for the Mk-2?
Thanks,
Jeff

I built the D3's and I'm very happy with them. If you decide on these, I have some pics of my construction at Sony ImageStation.

I would like to know if anyone has compared the D3's to the Bushhorns.
The Bushhorns look like a great project, maybe a little more complicated.

(Moved from another thread)

I am building Buschhorn Mk II's (my second set - 4" driver) and have the MDF cabs almost done. I have raised the top of the compression chamber 1/2" (increasing the volume by about 15%) for two reasons. I plan to put grilles on them (I'm married - don's ask) so it gives me more room for the connectors up top. Also, it will allow me to tweak by filling.

Am I right in thinking raising the compression chamber volume lowers the cutoff frequency of the acoustic filter (allowing only lower sounds to enter the throat)?

Other questions:

1) Is it worth the money to spring for the FE108 sigmas? Where would I see the improvements?

2) Assuming I stay in the FE103 price bracket, I have heard that the FE107's ( for just a coupla bucks more) offer better sound than the 103's. I find this odd, as I thought it was the same driver with shielding magnets. I have been happy with my FE103's so far. Any thoughts?

and

3) Should I presume they will need a notch filter for the mids, or might they sound fine without it? Logic says build first without, then add if needed. But if it is almost surely gonna give me too much mids without, I would prefer not to pay shipping twice (when I order, for a second shipment, the notch filter components).

FYI-

I have also benefitted from Serge's tutorial on the Buschhorns, but there seems to be some confusion over the fold variants. I believe that Ed's horns were modeled after Buschorns, but not the version on Serge's site.

Ed's are a closer relative to these, which are designed around the 3" speakers, such as the Fostex FE83/FE87 types:

http://www.hornloudspeakers.de/DIndex/DHifi/DBusch/dbusch.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.