Good cheap mini full-range? Matrix array design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to play around with some DSP algorithms to try to replicate a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector. If you haven't looked into these yet, it's the only real soundbar on the market that gets close to replicating surround. Uses line array beaming to shoot rear channels around the room. A few people I know have been considering soundbars and I'm thinking of building a proper one for them.

So I'm looking to create an array of about 48 mini (2" or less) full range speakers for a reasonable budget.

By budget I'm hoping each driver will cost $5 or so, hopefully less. But I'd really like it to not sound like a clock radio. Is this doable?

Currently Parts Express has a few options I'm considering:
Dayton CE series speakers ($3-5 each)
Visation FRS5 ($8 each)
HiWave BMR12 ($5 each)
Will any of these create a nice sound? Which should I put my chips on? Is there a source around for good bulk buyout for mini drivers? Any suggestions?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm looking to play around with some DSP algorithms to try to replicate a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector. If you haven't looked into these yet, it's the only real soundbar on the market that gets close to replicating surround. Uses line array beaming to shoot rear channels around the room. A few people I know have been considering soundbars and I'm thinking of building a proper one for them.

So I'm looking to create an array of about 48 mini (2" or less) full range speakers for a reasonable budget.

By budget I'm hoping each driver will cost $5 or so, hopefully less. But I'd really like it to not sound like a clock radio. Is this doable?

Currently Parts Express has a few options I'm considering:
Dayton CE series speakers ($3-5 each)
Visation FRS5 ($8 each)
HiWave BMR12 ($5 each)
Will any of these create a nice sound? Which should I put my chips on? Is there a source around for good bulk buyout for mini drivers? Any suggestions?

I can highly recommend the Vifa TC9FD for a nice sounding cheap full range. $12 ea at PE. Very flat response and nice highs. Square frame lets you array with tight ctc spacing.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm afraid the price is a bit too high.

Those 3" from madisound may be nice.

How many are you looking to buy to do your array? There is a huge performance difference between the $2 Aurasounds specials and the $12 Vifa's (which really sound like $30 drivers). When I hear the term soundbar, I am guessing no more than 6 to 8 drivers? The Madisound specials have a huge Qts making them really only suitable for open baffle designs. A sealed or ported sound bar will not work well with them.

How many are you looking to buy to do your array? There is a huge performance difference between the $2 Aurasounds specials and the $12 Vifa's (which really sound like $30 drivers). When I hear the term soundbar, I am guessing no more than 6 to 8 drivers? The Madisound specials have a huge Qts making them really only suitable for open baffle designs. A sealed or ported sound bar will not work well with them.

I was worried about that performance gap.

I'm looking to at least have 24 speakers in the array, probably more (I'd like 48). Hence $12 speakers make it a bit expensive.

Really, I think another limiting factor may become shipping costs. Looks like that'll be about the same as driver costs in many cases.

ive got a few Visaton FRS 5X, which are a touch more expensive than the straight 5s.
I was actually working on a small array of them in Boxsim last night. 48 would be great, with their Qts you could get some good bass, if u give them enough volume. 100hz could be possible and more feasible using 48 drivers than smaller arrays

I was planning to use just 7, Boxsim with sim a max of 8 drivers.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That really doesn't apply to orders being shipped to Canada. Those 50 drivers from madisound cost $100-$150 in shipping depending on the method. That doesn't include customs or duties.

If you have patience, i can add extra drivers to my Madisound orders and decrease shipping. But last i checked they probably don't have 50 of the little Auras left.

Anything from PE is best sourced thru Bob at CSS in Abbotsford.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.