Good capacitors for tight space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to replace the capacitors in my Fatman 182 and Fatman 252 amps with some Mundorf Supreme.

# Fatman 252 (a rebranded Dared MP-60)
It has 2x 474J 2G R 406 (0.47 5% 400v), the green ones.
I would like to replace them with Mundorf Supreme 0.47u 600v (size 20x39mm).

I don't have schematic for this amp and I can't manage to find them.
They should hopefully fit within the height of this case.

See attached photo of preamp PCB and the caps.

I do not need to replace the yellow caps, but just the 2 green ones, right?

# Fatman 182 (a rebranded Dared MP-15)
It has 2x 0.47u 400v and 2x 0.47u 630v.
I would like to replace all 4 with Mundorf Supreme 0.47u 600v as well (size 20x39mm).

See attached schematic, photo of the internal PCB, the 0.47u 400v and the 0.47u 630v.

I think I can fit the cap in length (39mm), but the hight seem to just fit (20mm). I am afraid the case would not close.

Is there any other good performant cap you would recommend, which is a bit smaller in width?

This amp has 2x 0.47u 400v and 2x 630v. Would be using 0.47u 600v from Mundorf work well for all 4 of them? Or I should find some that can hold higher voltage?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Fatman 252 PCB.jpg
    Fatman 252 PCB.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Fatman 252 Green Cap.jpg
    Fatman 252 Green Cap.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Fatman 182 PCB.jpg
    Fatman 182 PCB.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Fatman 182 C4.jpg
    Fatman 182 C4.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 243
Tubularfluxus,

No desire to confound you, but I have the same question as Frank 1.

Regarding sound improvement I fear the importance of 'capacitor sound' is overrated and often based on erroneous concepts. It is your amplifier and your money, and starting on misconceptions will hi-jack your thread. Suffice it to say that many of the 'advantages' of boutique capacitors are not relevant in audio. If you have time and inclination, perhaps consulting forums like diyAudio server HTTPS page ... by Rod Elliott and others (and not promotional narrative) might convince you to reconsider.

Tubularfluxus,

No desire to confound you, but I have the same question as Frank 1.

Regarding sound improvement I fear the importance of 'capacitor sound' is overrated and often based on erroneous concepts. It is your amplifier and your money, and starting on misconceptions will hi-jack your thread. Suffice it to say that many of the 'advantages' of boutique capacitors are not relevant in audio. If you have time and inclination, perhaps consulting forums like diyAudio server HTTPS page ... by Rod Elliott and others (and not promotional narrative) might convince you to reconsider.

Thanks for the tip. I guess you're referring to this page DIY Audio Articles right?
I see there's plenty of material and I will surely start to consult it from the "Beginner" section.

Meanwhile, owning these Chinese amps with all stock components, except for running older nos tubes in it, do you think changing the caps will not bring me any discernible sound improvement?

You really won't improve anything with esoteric capacitors unless the originals are faulty.
Frank

:( Ouch! I thought the reason some Chinese amps do not sound as good as more renewed ones is because they saved on costs by using cheap entry level components.
I had the impression the sound of my amps improved when I swapped the stock Chinese tubes with some old German ones.
That's why I was hoping spending $20 more on a couple of German capacitors could have pushed a little bit the sound further :rolleyes:

Chinese amps do sometimes save on component costs but the main effect of this will be on reliability and safety, not sound quality. Sound quality is affected mainly by circuit design (apart from OPTs - about the only audio component where quality matters).

You might be able to get a small improvement in sound quality by disconnecting the rectifier feeding the magic eye. The eye will stop working, but it is only a gimmick so no loss.

If you are not an experienced electronics designer but you want to improve the sound of your amps, which options do you have?
Caps rolling, caps rolling, caps rolling...;)

why buy them in the first place? i often get calls asking about these....
the would be buyer do not even have the unit on hand...
and my answer, do not buy if you have to go thru the trouble....;)

Chinese amps do sometimes save on component costs but the main effect of this will be on reliability and safety, not sound quality. Sound quality is affected mainly by circuit design (apart from OPTs - about the only audio component where quality matters).

You might be able to get a small improvement in sound quality by disconnecting the rectifier feeding the magic eye. The eye will stop working, but it is only a gimmick so no loss.

a famous brand of chinese amp here uses an OPT that you often find in an el84 pp amp....
it is enclosed in a box so consumers have no idea what the actual opt looked like..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.