Good basic bench power supply?

Looking for a good basic bench power supply, from a UK-based supplier (or one who offers reasonable shipping rates into the UK).
This looks pretty good for the price:
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-10495/power-supply-2ch-30v-5a-adjustable/dp/IN06823#

For a little bit more, you can get a third output for logic etc
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-13310/dc-power-supply-3ch-adj-fixed/dp/IN07981

Any alternatives I should look at, for hobbyist prices?
Not specifically for audiophile projects (so not trying to run power amps from it etc), more general hobby electronics.

Last edited:
Both are at quite an attractive price point. I should point out building your own power supply is economical and educational. However these are nifty units at a low price. I don't think you would save any money by building your own.

My suggestion is to buy the dual output unit and build a 5 volt one of your own. It should actually cost less than the additional price and have some educational value. Also 5 volts is not really the universal logic voltage anymore.

To build a fixed low voltage power supply you will need a case, a power cord, power cord grommet, fuse holder, fuse, full wave bridge rectifier, filter capacitor, regulator chip, small heatsink, output capacitor, banana jacks, a single resistor and an led with a panel mount clip. Add a few more parts and you can make it also have another fixed voltage output such as 3.3 volts.

A simple and inexpensive (as things go) project. Of course with the dual power supply unit you don't need to be in a rush to complete a small power supply.

To save a bit of money look up the "Free parts essay contest" thread.

Last edited:
"UK based supplier " Tuck ?

Well you could buy from an importer of Chinese equipment but I have bought a lot of equipment from the one big UK government contractor of used forces /government equipment .

Stewart of Reading

Do NOT !!!!! buy your second choice link its badge "engineered " China and a very well known fault appears after a while --you lose one digital display but it still works .

Faulty chip and bad standard of engineering.

This is well know on the web.

His good stuff aint cheap but its professional and built to government spec . not public /downmarket and its tested before delivery and it isn't Amazon/eBay/Marketplace you are dealing with no problem if its faulty etc he has a good reputation with professionals.

Also click on Stock Lists (above )

Last edited:
I bought my first second hand scope from Stewart of Reading for about £150 about 20 years ago. When it came channel 2 didnt work so it went back. When I received it again it still didnt work on channel 2. I then got my money back.

When I looked into the scope the model was about 15 years old yet was getting on for the price of a new scope !
I am a bit more savvy these days.

Joined 2011
The second Tenma is a generic supply that is best avoided in my experience. Your first choice looks pretty good,
if the warranty service is handled within your country. You can always buy or build a separate 5v supply cheaply.

Last edited:
BK Precision 1600 used

BK Precision

Triple Output DC Power Supply 1600

Dual 0 .. 30 VDC, 0 .. 2 ADC

Single 4 .. 6.5 VDC, 0 .. 5 ADC

10 Kg (22 lbs) not a cheap unit..

The Hi Voltage power supplies can be connected in series or in parallel. Tracking features included.

No surface mount or secret components it can be fixed by DIYers, if it breaks. Schematics easily available from the web.

Its my favorite unit for analog circuit development. It is a simple robust and reliable power supply. It is a sleeper power supply..

Still use an old Heathkit but now mostly grab my dirt cheap Chinese switcher. Sure, it is not a 30 year old Lambda, but I can buy 10 of them for the price of a used Lambda. Old HPs were really good supplies. Lots of B&Ks out there. One of these days I am going to replace the Heath +/- 15V variable supply with a Chinese regulator board and probably replace the 5V regulator with another simple Chinese $8 board. That way I keep the expensive part. The case. But I get much cleaner power. Actually, probably have room to add several more for modern digital circuits. 3.2 or whatever.

Any used supply will need re-caping. Just like an amp, electrolytic go bad. New can be cheaper.

Rather than get the dual unit, which is only two individual units joined together - consider buying the single channel versions?

This model has been available for at least 7 or 8 years now, so all the early bugs have been found and designed out - I have used one for a number of years now - and can recommend it as performing well and being easy to use.

You have a number of choices to make - essentially either 3 or 5 amp maximum output - and more expensive types with RS232 and USB control possibility.

The only odd thing is 5 memories - but only 4 buttons. You will soon find the secret though.........!

5th Element nailed it, trust me. I write this surrounded by TTI supplies that I've nabbed off Ebay over the years. The MOD used to be full of them, and Ebay has a plentiful supply.

I would avoid modern Chinese ones that are SMPS-based. I wouldn't trust their EMC certification for a second. The TTIs tend to go on forever and are uber quiet. In fact, the newer SMPS TTis have lower levels of 50Hz ripple (take a look at the schematics for one - the designers know what they are doing). I spend my days powering items with TTis and looking at the performance on a Rohde+Schwarz FFT analyser. Trust me when I say that they are good. You will have to spend a heck of a lot more to gain anything performance-wise. Older linear TTis may need electrolytics replacing.

Or take a look at delta elektronika psu, I got the sm6020, which means 60 volt 20 amps, very low noise even when pushed, I'm still looking for a second psu so that I can series connect the two, on the back theres pins for remote operation.
Yes they are old, but build to last forever.
Ps. The never models have lcd.

Attachments

• Delta Elektronika SM6020 1.jpg
    Delta Elektronika SM6020 1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 301
Looking for a good basic bench power supply, from a UK-based supplier (or one who offers reasonable shipping rates into the UK).
This looks pretty good for the price:
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-10495/power-supply-2ch-30v-5a-adjustable/dp/IN06823#

For a little bit more, you can get a third output for logic etc
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-13310/dc-power-supply-3ch-adj-fixed/dp/IN07981

Any alternatives I should look at, for hobbyist prices?
Not specifically for audiophile projects (so not trying to run power amps from it etc), more general hobby electronics.

Your first choice is actually bang on. Those are good value for the money. I've got some few single channel versions. Those were subjected to a variety of abuses - shorts, reverse EMF from relay coils etc... I've even tried charging some batteries without a protection diode. They still work fine.

Dave from EEVblog made a series of videos on this design (Korad branded)

EEVblog #314 - Korad KA3005P PSU Teardown - YouTube

EEVblog #315 - Korad KA3005P Review/FAIL - YouTube

EEVblog #404 - Korad PSU Followup - YouTube

I am assuming that this advice still holds true given that it is not that old?
I went the second hand TTI route, but it popped.
So I am now debating whether to go new or used this time.
Especially as these ones sound like they are reasonable.

The price difference is interesting between the dual and single.
£136 and £96.
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-2540/power-supply-1ch-30v-5a-prog/dp/IN07294

I have very little experience.
The dual seems good value, but am I going to wish I had two separate ones in the future?

I am assuming that this advice still holds true given that it is not that old?
I went the second hand TTI route, but it popped.
So I am now debating whether to go new or used this time.
Especially as these ones sound like they are reasonable.

The price difference is interesting between the dual and single.
£136 and £96.
https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-2540/power-supply-1ch-30v-5a-prog/dp/IN07294

I have very little experience.
The dual seems good value, but am I going to wish I had two separate ones in the future?

They're often in the sale from cpc, reducing them even further , look out for extra 2 digits on the cpc part number when they're offered in their sale leaflets

Most likely when working on amplifiers you'll use these in tracked mode, (and wired up to provide a + and - supply with a common 0v), adjusting one voltage brings the other up alongside it..
With two single supplies this means you've gotta adjust both each time you adjust, with a dual unit you will be able to adjust both rails with one control. (or it should have a tracked function !)

I bought a pair of 60V 3A variants from cpc (when in the aforementioned sale) , used them for a few months and found the rotary encoders were a bit jumpy, so I sold them

I actually got all my money back because of the money I saved when buying them.

I got a Digimess dual 60v , just as they'd decided to shut the doors for good a year or so ago.... it's great for the price I paid.

I also have a 30V dual 302D ? from Thurlby Thandor alongside it.

Last edited: