Goldwood OB speakers cheap...nice

After playing around with a pair of Fostex fe126e speakers in OB matted to a 15" bass helper I decided to try an inexpensive 8" full range driver that is better suited to OB than the Fostex.With the Fostex I had them HP at 150hz and the 15" subs LP at 160hz...things sounded pretty good indeed...highs where good and low bass was good...what was lacking was mid-bass punch.I decided to go for some Goldwood 8" full rangers whizzers and all because they have a QTS of 1.07 which should do the trick for the midbass I was lacking with the low QTS Fostex.The Goldwood 8 inchers have great bass in OB compared to the Fostex and really don't need thaaattt much bass augmentation.I ran the 8" full range and LP the 15" Goldwood subs in at 60hz...mmmmm nice deep bass,nice midbass punch and smooth highs...this speaker has a nice vintage tone that is definately on the warm side of things...just how I like it.The highs are not as pronounced as with the Fostex fe126e,but i enjoy the speaker much more overall with the el'cheapo Goldwood 8" full range drivers.It is so fun and easy to play with OB...not to mention inexpensive!
newspeakers018.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice. Bang for the buck.:cool:

By the way, did you use active crossovers/biamping? what crossover slope did you use?
Or, is there only an inductor for the bass?

Can you pst a pic of the speaker backside (no matter even if it is not as nice as front ;) ) I just want to see how you mounted the support for the baffles....

Regards,

Vix

Vix said:
Very nice. Bang for the buck.:cool:

By the way, did you use active crossovers/biamping? what crossover slope did you use?
Or, is there only an inductor for the bass?

Can you pst a pic of the speaker backside (no matter even if it is not as nice as front ;) ) I just want to see how you mounted the support for the baffles....

Regards,

Vix

Thank's they are actively crossed over/ biamped via plate amps.The woofers are low passed at 60hz at a slope of 12db per octave.The 8" full range unit is ran full range without any filtering.As far as suports go I used the largest heavy duty L-braces available from HomeDepot.There is a .25" thick,3/4" wide foam strip sandwiched between the width of the baffle and the base.The foam strip decouples the baffle from the bass and really cleans up the bass.Please note in the pictures of the backs,the wire to 8" full ranger is not hooked up.I also have installed binding posts and a barrier strip just incase I want to neatly add more drivers and wires.
newspeakers017.jpg
[/IMG]

Joined 2006
Paid Member
*36 - Loved the way you used the L-brackets!! The foam strip is a good thing as well! I'm drawing some things out that are similar but I'm gonna mount the 15 inch on it's own brace and strap it up so it just meets the back of the baffle with little or no coupling and using some of that foam stripping to seal things up. :D

Godzilla said:
See, sometimes a more expensive driver is not the better driver. Maybe these Goldwoods on open baffle are a great way to do OB on the cheap but with great sound. Do you think they may sound even better with a cheap piezo on top? How are the highs?

For a person used to "conventional" speakers a piezo might be
wanted...for me they are fine.You simply need to try these in OB...they spec perfectly for OB.

c2cthomas said:
*36 - Loved the way you used the L-brackets!! The foam strip is a good thing as well! I'm drawing some things out that are similar but I'm gonna mount the 15 inch on it's own brace and strap it up so it just meets the back of the baffle with little or no coupling and using some of that foam stripping to seal things up. :D

Thanks and please post pics!!!

" Sometimes a more expensive driver is not the better driver" - Jeff

Audio36 - Thanks for doing this! I looked at that GW 8" over a year ago and several said 'naaahh' only because it was so cheap!

Being the Coward I am I couldn't trust my own thoughts for, what, $19 as I recall?

SI's are on my 'committed' list so I'm going through with it but what really set the hook for me regards OB, and I played with a bunch of drivers,was some NOS Oakton 8" I bought on Ebay only because they were cheap! I have zero idea what TS is on these but they blow me away .

I'm adding your project to my 'gona experiment' list.

Seems to me if you took that driver and did the same tweeter mod with the little Daytons as guys are doing with the Pio B20 and added sub as you did you just may have a super cheap OB that really runs full range.

Nice work!! More proof Audio need not be vain.

Bluto

badman said:
Are the goldwoods specifically designed for OB? Zaph's testing of Goldwoods indicated that they're very poor quality, I bet the high Qts isn't 'intentional' but just a consequence of weak/cheap motor design.

Intentional or not the cheap/weak motor design is what makes them perfect candidates for OB.They may be cheap,but they sound good in OB.I would not use these in boxed speakers however.

I've got nothing but respect for Zaph.

Some major European builders whom are also respected disagree with him pretty regularly. Perhaps because same drivers cost 3 X in Euros?

40 years I'm reading about Audio and still can't help but believe Ego just won't stay in the closet. Everybody knocks GW simply because it's low priced. IT ALL arrives on the West Coast from the Far East without a label. There isn't even a magnet Company in the USA anymore.

I really upset some folks a year or so ago because I went through a whole bunch of TS parameters from different manufacturers and was amazed at just how close some 'majors' at 2 - 3 times the price were to GW's. Blasphemy to many. I don't even own a GW driver, simply did the study for myself. Yep, I looked at materials and build quality as well.

Could be you're correct, point is the QTS # is still valid and Audio 36's comp to a Fostex is quite a statement.

What did Zaph test the driver for and under what conditions?

I seldom take recommendations from builders at any forum affiliated with any given driver anymore unless they're at least willing to point out some weaknesses or admit something else they tried works better. Too many guys have a 10 driver brain.

Question is ... for the dough is it worth a go?

Look at the Pioneer B20 and the NSB's !

Bluto

Audio 36 -

I came back to add a post of my own and forgot to do so.

My wife and I have been discussing this a good part of the day. I'm so impressed with what these cheap Oaktons are giving me for sound that after reading your luck with this GW I'm actually going to forego my Hawthorne SI decision until after I've tried these GW's.

I'm out next to nothing if I'm unhappy.

FWIW perhaps some 'tweeking' on them should be next on your agenda.

Bluto