Global Warming/Climate Change hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMFahey, I think our family (me, the boss lady, and two kids) food budget is ca 5000 NOK/month, about just over 600$ US/per month.
This is including alcohol and some other things. But there are no pre-fabricated products, bake our own bread etc. I seriously doubt it can be done cheaper, because everything is so expensive here, unless we get a bigger property to increase our own food production. Local products are much more expensive than buying for example imported meat, but we make local produce a priority.

Would be interesting what other Diyaudio members have as (rough but realistic estimation) food budget.
Thanks for the update. :)
Yes, I imagined Norway and other relatively harsh climate Countries must import a sizeable part of the food they need, and that by definition increases cost.

At the other end, poorest Countries shown "live like our forefathers did" meaning mostly relying on self or locally produced food.

Little or no options on one side, and maybe even some nutritional deficiencies but on the other side: simple, very efficient (minimal processing, transport and intermediaries) so cheap by definition.

I just read today a pro solar article that computed the available energy based on an earth completely covered with solar panels of 100% efficiency. This is stupid on many levels but mainly the theoretical efficiency from basic physics is far less than 100%.
Fully agree that that article is stupid on many levels, just let me add another one:
we do NOT need to cover Earth with Solar panels, stupid Engineering at its peak, and where will we live?
Oceans will stop evaporating, plants will die, the works.

If/when done, we must build a flat ring around the Earth, perpendicular to the Sun rays, think similar to Saturn rings but oriented as I suggest, and send Electrical Energy down to consumers, by any Technical means available, from copper or aluminum wires to RF to Laser to whatever we have developed at that point.

Would be interesting what other Diyaudio members have as (rough but realistic estimation) food budget.
I too would be interested in that. While we produce our own green leafy's, a good chunk or herbs, tomatoes, peppers garlic and onions, I feel our estimate would seem high as we distribute a good amount of what we prepare to others that are not in the same position as us. It's also our #1 hobby, something difficult to sustain in more expensive areas. We are extremely lucky in that regard, something I never discount. This part of Canada is an excellent place to be a foodie. A drunk? Not so much, but a foodie yes.

I know Cal, lots of nice stuff to eat over there, I really want to go to BC next year, I really like it there, also have two brothers located around Port Alberni and Great Central Lake
But the boss is using her brothers marriage and expected kid as arguments to go to Bali.

Not easy trying to keep a low carbon footprint and have an international family. But we travel much less than most people we know. Last time we went to Bali I had the luggage full of tools, saws, axes, hammers, you name it, some things are so expensive there. Also spend time collecting plastic and trying to increase awareness about pollution. Saw a beautiful mangrove area on a small island was used as a landfill last time, it's really sad.
The industrious countries gave the world plastic, but it came with no manual, no warning labels, no plan to recycle

It takes time to deal with it, and while some are waiting, nature keeps struggling.
It really is much worse than what most are thinking

@ Bill Coltrane

Here's another link that has the FULL article Monckton fires back point-by-point rebuttal at warmist critics of new peer-reviewed study: ‘Shoddy, rent-a-quote ‘scientists’ | Climate Depot

For some reason posting scibull.com links with the full URL causes this form to display Chinese characters ? Like this 《中国科学》杂志社 :D

I see you got the other article OK :)

Why models run hot: results from an irreducibly simple climate model

Introduction

Are global-warming predictions reliable? In the 25 years of IPCC’s First to Fifth Assessment Reports [ 1–5], the atmosphere has

warmed at half the rate predicted in FAR (Fig. 1); yet, Professor Ross Garnaut [6] has written, ‘‘The outsider to climate science has no

rational choice but to accept that, on a balance of probabilities, the mainstream science is right in pointing to high risks from unmitigated

climate change.’’ However, as Sir Fred Hoyle put it, ‘‘Understanding the Earth’s greenhouse effect does not require complex computer

models in order to calculate useful numbers for debating the issue. To raise a delicate point, it really is not very sensible to make

approximations and then to perform a highly complicated computer calculation, while claiming the arithmetical accuracy of the

computer as the standard for the whole investigation’’ [7].

The present paper describes an irreducibly simple but robustly calibrated climate-sensitivity model that fairly represents the key

determinants of climate sensitivity, ?exibly encompasses all reasonably foreseeable outcomes, and reliably determines how much

global warming we may cause both in the short term and in the long term. The model investigates and identi?es possible

reasons for the widening discrepancy between prediction and observation.

Sci. Bull. (2015) 60(1):122–135
DOI 10.1007/s11434-014-0699-2

scibull.com
Springer - International Publisher Science, Technology, Medicine

Last edited:
Christopher Monckton is a British consultant, policy adviser, writer, columnist, and hereditary peer. While not formally trained in science, Monckton is one of the most cited and widely published climate skeptics, having even been invited to testify to the U.S. Senate and Congress on several occasions.

Christopher Monckton is a British consultant, policy adviser, writer, columnist, and hereditary peer. While not formally trained in science, Monckton is one of the most cited and widely published climate skeptics, having even been invited to testify to the U.S. Senate and Congress on several occasions.
As stunned onlookers watched, the Boeing 747 flew directly into the mountainside immediately after takeoff.

After a brief investigation, FAA officials proclaimed that "while the pilot was not formally trained in flying", he recently testified in front of congress, and more importantly, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

There are very good reasons for "formal training". Ignoring those reasons is idiocy.
Brain surgeon...no formal training.
Cardiac surgeon...no formal training.
Commercial pilot...no formal training..

Jn

There are very good reasons for "formal training". Ignoring those reasons is idiocy.
Brain surgeon...no formal training.
Cardiac surgeon...no formal training.
Commercial pilot...no formal training..

Lack of formal training doesn't preclude competence.

Apparently Julian Vereker didn't have any formal training either but seems like he did alright for himself....

Lack of formal training doesn't preclude competence.

Apparently Julian Vereker didn't have any formal training either but seems like he did alright for himself....
Perhaps you should have him do heart or brain surgery on you or a loved one. There is a good reason for formal training.

In this day and age, so many believe that having information at ones fingertips (Google) makes them competent at whatever they choose.

Doing alright for ones self and competence in a technical discipline can be two distinctly different animals. I have worked with some who were promoted to engineer with no formal training, and their lack of "formal training" scares me.

Does an EE need fluid dynamics, metallurgy, thermodynamics, chemistry, physics, semiconductor theory, control theory, to design power distribution systems? No. Is there a good reason to include such disciplines in a core curriculum in undergraduate education? Absolutely.

There is a distinct difference between one who is a smooth talker and one who is competent in any specific field. And there will always be those who are taken in by a smooth talker.

Those who have not studied a technical discipline are sheep to the wolves when it comes to science speak. Yes, some people easily recognize the scam artists. But look within this thread to see how many are taken in by smooth talkers who "aren't formally trained".

They count on the public ignorance, and rarely are they disappointed.

Jn

Perhaps you should have him do heart or brain surgery on you or a loved one.
There is a good reason for formal training.

??? Why would I do that? Firstly he has long since passed, so it'd be a bit hard. Secondly, his competence was in Audio Visual not in the medical field.

Doing alright for ones self and competence in a technical discipline can be two distinctly different animals. I have worked with some who were promoted to engineer with no formal training, and their lack of "formal training" scares me.

And yet I have worked with 'Formally qualified engineers' who have absolutely no clue. Their lack of actual competence and skill where the meat meets the metal, scares me.

On the flip side, I work with some extremely knowledgeable and talented mechanics who do not have formal training. One of them is even a prolific publisher in journals of Composite Materials Science.

Those who have not studied a technical discipline are sheep to the wolves when it comes to science speak. Yes, some people easily recognize the scam artists. But look within this thread to see how many are taken in by smooth talkers who "aren't formally trained".

Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of formal training - I'm a 'Formally Qualified' aerospace engineer and hold professional licences across 3 continents.

However, I wouldn't immediately dismiss someone's view or opinion based on their lack of a bit of paper saying that they can pass a test that doesn't necessarily translate to real world competence.

Avtech23... You and I are in extremely violent agreement on every single thing you said.

??? Why would I do that? Firstly he has long since passed, so it'd be a bit hard. Secondly, his competence was in Audio Visual not in the medical field.
If he were to start spouting global denier stuff, would you balk because you know his competence is in audio visual, or would you blindly believe? (Do not bother answering, it was just rhetorical). And yah, he's passed.
Unfortunately, many are taken in by the talk simply because it sounds good and is kind of like how they feel. Not based on accuracy.

And yet I have worked with 'Formally qualified engineers' who have absolutely no clue. Their lack of actual competence and skill where the meat meets the metal, scares me.

On the flip side, I work with some extremely knowledgeable and talented mechanics who do not have formal training. One of them is even a prolific publisher in journals of Composite Materials Science.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of formal training - I'm a 'Formally Qualified' aerospace engineer and hold professional licences across 3 continents.

However, I wouldn't immediately dismiss someone's view or opinion based on their lack of a bit of paper saying that they can pass a test that doesn't necessarily translate to real world competence.

I NEVER immediately dismiss someone's view, paper or not. I also work with engineers, scientists, and physicists who scare me, especially when they attempt to goes outside their field of expertise and competence. Unfortunately, sometimes within..:eek:

Jn

Last edited:
So what's the takeaway here? Some portion of people think we need to start changing the footprint now, for the grandkids. Others, skeptical of the prediction to begin with. Either way, who gave up electricity today? Or bicycled to work?

Anyone... anyone.. Bueller?

To answer a previous question, how much oil do we have left. Well, Saudi Arabia has 265 billion light/sweet barrels left. Humans use 80 million per day. Venezuela has almost 300 billion, albeit heavy. Canada not far behind. The basic answer is a few hundred years. In other words, the industrial/technological revolution was an aberration amongst human evolutionary history. Oh well. Be thankful you were here to enjoy yours. Now go listen to jazz through a class A amp. I am. Why not?

Last edited:
The oil will one day run out. Unless some sort of transition is made, the price of energy will hockey stick when we do get in real danger of it running out, and everyone except the upper 0.1% will go broke. If $4 a gallon gas wasn’t bad enough wait till it hits 40 and see what happens. Regardless of where the energy comes from the planet will become less and less hospitable over time and people will need to adapt. Or die. Or get the hell off of it.

When Yellowstone does become seriously active, or we get hit with an asteroid the size of Texas, a one or two degree change that the industrial revolution has caused will pale in comparison. With no plan B, humans will go extinct. I don’t see any warp drive happening by 2063 - I think it’s running a little behind schedule. The only real activity going on these days is making big money in big oil and big pharma, selling every item in the universe over the internet, and making smaller cheaper faster cell phones. None of which address the issues of long term survival over millennia. The space race was moving us in the right direction, but it seems to have ground to a halt.

I did ride a bicycle to work today. And rode home in the rain. It has nothing to do with saving the planet. It’s about 3 hours of exercise that simply wouldn’t be possible any other way - driving to work and the gym and compressing it into a 30 minute spin class does NOT have the same benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.