Global Warming/Climate Change hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...wouldn't one expect most climate scientists to say there is dangerous climate change? I mean, it's big science nowadays...there is now funding for these folks. Lots of public money being spent. There is also the herd thing...if you are a climate scientist with any career ambition will you dare disagree?

When I said it's all on that list, I wasn't kidding.

32 "Climate scientists are in it for the money"
Climate scientists could make far more money in other careers - most notably, working for the oil industry.
Climate scientists would make more money in other careers

I've seen this 1st hand. Climate skeptics can make nice cash on speaking engagements to oil company and association conventions. Yet to see a real climate scientist do that.

121 "Less than half of published scientists endorse global warming"
Around 97% of climate experts agree that humans are causing global warming.
Attempts to cast doubt on scientific consensus on climate change despite 97% agreement

Leadbelly, thanks for at least making an attempt. Kudos to you for that. We're seeing the same gamut of tropes and fallacies play out here as everywhere else. As I said, it's saddening to see.

The other aspect that isn't quite touched is that the least common denominator (ahem, mainstream, not even getting into the ideologically motivated/heavily slanted) media types are overly eager to report with "false equivalence" because it makes the story sound much more interesting (and tenable to write) than "we interviewed 100 climate scientists and 97 of them said basically the same thing while 3 disagreed with the overwhelming consensus." This happens just as badly in medicine, where I have a little more intimate knowledge of what's going on, and the whole of mainstream media's response to anything close to science is cringeworthy. I have to assume the reporting in worlds outside my knowledge base are as bad as the ones in my domain.
That 97% turned out to be 97% of 1/3 of 2000 or so scientists surveyed. So, it's 32% of scientists surveyed that agreed to a question that was vaguely worded to begin with. This has been exposed years ago but apparently still unknown to some.

That 97% turned out to be 97% of 1/3 of 2000 or so scientists surveyed. So, it's 32% of scientists surveyed that agreed to a question that was vaguely worded to begin with. This has been exposed years ago but apparently still unknown to some.

152 "97% consensus on human-caused global warming has been disproven"
The 97% consensus has been independently confirmed by a number of different approaches and lines of evidence.
The Cook et al. (2013) 97% consensus result is robust

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...wouldn't one expect most climate scientists to say there is dangerous climate change? I mean, it's big science nowadays...there is now funding for these folks. Lots of public money being spent. There is also the herd thing...if you are a climate scientist with any career ambition will you dare disagree? :devilr:
More accurately, it's financial ambition.

From here 8 out of 10 cats fear statistics – AI doesn't have this problem • The Register

"There is a wonderful example of misuse that eventually passed into the English language as the phrase "eight out of ten cats" – also the name of a long-running Channel 4 quiz show hosted by Jimmy Carr. This goes back to the 1980s when Whiskas cat food was promoted using the advertising slogan: "Eight out of ten owners said their cat prefers it."

You might have thought that was vague enough to escape without challenge but, after complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority, it was rephrased as: "Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cat prefers it." You can see why the manufacturer preferred the snappy first version but it was simply a misstatement of the statistical evidence."

@leadbelly: I am not so sure about the water-tightness of the contents of that list. 78 downplays methane on the grounds that it is a relatively small portion of existing gases in the atmosphere but in 34 it argues about the addition of CO2. However, according to the EPA methane is a much larger contributor to global warming potential by human-caused emissions than CO2. There is supposed to be a lot of CO2 in the air...or the ecosystem wouldn't work!

What we actually know is the history of greenhouse gas content in the atmosphere. And it is increasing rapidly. The rest is forecasting and it is difficult to do reliably. At least that is the reason for any skepticism.

@leadbelly: I am not so sure about the water-tightness of the contents of that list. 78 downplays methane on the grounds that it is a relatively small portion of existing gases in the atmosphere but in 34 it argues about the addition of CO2. However, according to the EPA methane is a much larger contributor to global warming potential by human-caused emissions than CO2. There is supposed to be a lot of CO2 in the air...or the ecosystem wouldn't work!

If you spent more time with it, you would probably appreciate it more. Note that the comments section has many intelligent comments, and the website is "live", it gets updated with new and better content as it gets suggestions and becomes available.

What we actually know is the history of greenhouse gas content in the atmosphere. And it is increasing rapidly. The rest is forecasting and it is difficult to do reliably. At least that is the reason for any skepticism.

68 "The science isn't settled" That human CO2 is causing global warming is known with high certainty & confirmed by observations.
Is the science settled?

Status
Not open for further replies.