• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Glassware Audio Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> half of the B+ voltage.

Sadly the plan has *both* B+ and B-, bipolar, notionally +/-100V, with cathodes siting near zero and B-.

> I honestly don't know what math I'm supposed to be using to calculate this...

It is "obvious"; but considering he tells you EVERYthing else, including bias for every tube in the pile, and -3dB points for various loads, but does not point out that R4 R7 drop voltage from raw B+ to final rails.... I think if you bought this, you should ask John to send the missing page or make-up an explanation.

"Obvious" (if you do this too much): the lower resistor has to be 50K or less. It has to divert cathode leakage. <50K is sufficient diversion. Inspection of cathodes at roughly +1V and -99V suggests a -50V bias. BUT John has laid-out, not from the +/-100V rails, but from the raw +/-160V rails. So assume R8 is standard-value 47K, assume -49V, work the math, R9 should be 88K. But this is NOT critical. Could be 50K or 200K and the heater-cathode voltages would be entirely safe. So pick R9=100K. Then compute power in R9 and round-up double to get a 2W power rating. R8 will dissipate about half that, so could be smaller.

The computation could be repeated for other ACV sources or DC rails other than +/-100V. But it won't get much different, except above +/-200VDC raw (160-0-160VAC) you should double-up the Watts again.

Attachments

• HiGHFLYiN9s-1.gif
    HiGHFLYiN9s-1.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"equal to one half the B minus voltage" is the correct value. (Should add Vk, but this will be small.)

But I do not think he fully thought this through. He derives separate V+/V- for each channel. But there's only one heater supply. Derive heater bias from Left? From Right? Run four 180K resistors from the four cathodes to a common heater reference point? This would be exact math average but would add crosstalk, possibly above the -40dB level.

Given one heater for two separate channel supplies, _I_ would think to take the raw -160V to zero (not +160V) and divide it by 1/3rd, make -54V. Half the dissipation also.

Thanks very much, really excellent explanation, and the notes on the schematic are very helpful. It looks like older ACF-2 Octal PCBs may not have had R8 and R9... it was a more recent addition. In this image they aren't present on the board: ACF-2 Octal Aikido Cathode Follower Kit ... that may be why they are hardly discussed in the manual, which appears to be a carry-over from the noval version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.