• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

GK1 upgrades

good afternoon after a long absence.

I have finally opened up my GK-1R after many years and looking at 4x 40uF Audiocaps and BC560 transistors purchased years ago in a group buy by West but waiting to install.

Does anyone have any photos of these much larger caps fitted? And given the preamp is nearly 15 years young, any other recommendations to do at the same time?

thankyou,

Foster,
I think these are 120uF 315VW caps and they are all in a row at the centre of the pcb, like this later version, GK2, but the caps are the same, Fitting larger caps will not have any difference to the performance; these circuits are using very small currents, it's a preamp only, so 4 x 120uF is more than enough. Cheers Hugh

GK2revpcbtest.jpg

Morning Hugh,

Reading back thru the original posts the audiocaps were for C4 and C7, and the recommendation was to swap position of led L1 and C4.

I was hoping to see some photos from one of the original group buyers that show these fitted.

In reality Im still very happy with the pre amp and the lifeforce 100 especially now that I disconnected the signal ground from the power ground in the preamp and the background hum that was there in a minor way for all this time is gone.

The GK2 board in your photo looks very tidy.

Hope you are well,

Cheers, Foster