Ghent Audio 3 x NC400 case - cooling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quick question: Has anyone used Ghent Audio's case for 3 modules and know whether, with 3 x SMPS 600 in there, is the cooling sufficient?

Here is the link to the case: ghentaudio --- NCORE-3CH Hypex & NCore NC400 3CH DIY Case-kit

P.S. Is there an SMPS that can safely run 3 x NC400s? I used to think the Hypex SMPS 3000 could do it but Hypex say not. Maybe 1 x 1200 and 1 x 600 would run cooler?

i have this. ghents case is great case but mine i used to power my front L/C/R speakers in my home theater. when in side my cabinet with my other gera after 4/5 hours its would cut out due to over heating. moving it out side the cabinet it has been flawless the amp case gets warm and during the recent heat wave we have had in the uk even out side it had began to cut out.

most of the heat is from the psu's more vent holes and a small 40mm/60mm would have helped . i dont want to modify ghents case so have just learnt to live with it for now

still awesome sound let me know if you find a psu that can power all three nc400s

YG6W0Ji.jpg
[/IMG]

My NC400 modules run much, much hotter than the 1200 PSU itself. I emailed Hypex about it and they recommend proper cooling for these.

I added 2 of these ultra silent fans to my setup and... I can confirm they're dead quiet.
Amazon.com: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 92mm, BL045, Cooling Fan: Computers & Accessories

The amps now stay about room temp no mater how hard I drive them. And I have the peace of mind of keeping the amp on all day long.

I have them on a fan speed controller so I was able to dial in the air flow. But according to Hypex, there's nowhere to tap fan power on the 1200 so you'll need to solve for that.

I don't (yet) have an integrated solution to power the fans. My setup happens to be near by a PC (source) so I ran a 4 pin molex in to the amplifier.

It's not a terrible solution.. you'd just be dependent on that extra input.

The fan controller has 1 molex input and 5x 3 pin fan outputs. The fan controller monitors fan speeds, temperature, and has an alarm in case a fan stops or fails. It can also automatically regulate fan speed based on temps which is nice. But I leave it on manual.

The controller I picked up is honestly overkill and you can dim it but there doesn't seem to be a way to completely turn off the touch screen LCD.

61qidC4cs%2BL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 12.24.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 12.24.54 PM.png
    160 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.