Getting ready to buy my speakers tonight...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 7" drivers were a Deal of the Day, and I had 16 in my cart at $8 a piece. Kept shopping and after midnight I changed the quantity to 20 (maybe do a center) and the price went back up. I e-mailed and then called to talk to management and they said they'd honor it one-time only. Have to call them to order it and ask for a specific manager.

Also, can you recommend maybe a $2 - $3 tweeter? Thanks!

Try the closeout section at Parts Express. Keep in mind that you're primary objective is the smallest possible frame to keep the radiating planes tight.

The tweeter hieght usually should be quite close to the woofer hieght; otherwise you mght end up with nearfield response from the woofers and farfield from the tweeters at the crossover and response would then be rather ragged. But a lot depends on the size of your room and distance to the listening position. You can figure where the nearfield/farfield transition takes place from the formula r=L x L x F divided by 700. R is the distance from the array where the change occurs, L is the line hieght, F is the frequency and all distances are in meters. Ideally the transition point at the crossover frequency for both the woofer and tweeter lines will occur at a distance well beyond the listening position. You can shorten the tweeter array height safely as long as you meet that condition.

transition point

Since the nf/ff transition point varies with frequency, its inevitable that with almost any realistic line length, and almost any home listening room, that some parts of the spectrum will be nf, and others ff, right?

for example with a 2 meter line @ 70 hz, transition is
(4*70)/700=.4 meters. Same line at 5000 hz
(4*5000)/700=28 meters. Most listeners will be between .4 and 28 meters in most home venues.

So, if my math is right (?) , what's so magic about the crossover point? Is a listener sitting in mixed nf/ff (which seems inevitable in most cases) going to have obvious issues?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.