General diyAudio store feedback thread

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jason:

Can you offer a realistic timeframe for the launch of the new site and the restocking of the HiFi2000 gear in the Store? We know you're very busy and have been working directly with HiFi2000 in Bologna, but we're in the dark here and would love an update we could rely on.

Regards,
Scott

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Never mind. I drilled out the pcb holes with a 3.5mm drill bit.
I suspect they got the origin wrong when they were setting up the CNC Milling machine

Again, very sorry you're experiencing trouble. I installed an F6 PCB from the store onto sample 4U and 5U heatsinks and it fitted both perfectly but that was a one off sample heatsink made for photography purposes. You'll see those particular heatsinks on the new store website, with silver un-anodized pre-drilled holes (which shows up the hole pattern nicely).

As to your issue... it's highly unlikely to be the PCB drilling as the silkscreening would be off and we haven't heard from anyone else about F6 holes being out. Without seeing how much of a gap between your heatsinks there is it's impossible to say whether the problem is the gap (ie: the way it's screwed together) or one or both heatsinks had their origin wrongly set up. The 5U 400 (2x200) heatsinks do need to be carefully assembled as there is some "give" when screwing it together and you can easily create a few mm extra gap if the heatsinks aren't flush on the table when you attach the rail, and even a bit of pressure on them while attaching the rail would help.

Hifi2000 usually process the heatsinks in batches, not one by one, and this is the first we've heard of this particular issue. Whatever is the reason, we absolutely stand by the product and will ensure you're 100% satisfied. I'll contact you by email and we can discuss this further.

Jason:

Can you offer a realistic timeframe for the launch of the new site and the restocking of the HiFi2000 gear in the Store? We know you're very busy and have been working directly with HiFi2000 in Bologna, but we're in the dark here and would love an update we could rely on.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, thanks for your patience, which I'm sure is wearing thin.

Short answer: One week, but please email me your spec now and let me get you your order. Hifi2000 should have finished the next batch of 4U and 5U deluxe chassis by now and I can get your order in the queue.

Long answer: I actually finished up at Bologna last Sunday, with the store and photography "a day or two" away from being ready for a soft launch of the store. I then flew to India (a few days late due to the photography) to celebrate the birthday of my adventurous mother here in sunny Goa. Formalities out of the way, and looking forward to having a nice platform on which to finish the last lap of this race, I decided to upgrade my Macbook from Mavericks to El Capitan. When I next looked at the laptop it was dead - the upgrade (or possibly a brownout) had totally annihilated the hard drive, rendered it unbeatable, trashed the MBR.

Stupidly, I didn't backup before doing the upgrade as the effortless upgrades I'd done with Apple prior to this had gone so smoothly, and I hadn't done a backup in a week. Thankfully I'd backed up the photography to another drive but I lost several days of store coding. I've spent the last 4 days trying to salvage the store code, because I hate re-doing a job as much as I'm sure everyone else does. Unfortunately no luck, so I have a few more days of re-coding stuff I'd already done.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
This time, even after doing the regular round of refreshes, both BA front end pages are giving an error. Debugging Magento (the current store software) at this level is reserved for masochists or those paying 10k a month for the non-community editions (leaving the only other option to delete the product and make a fresh one), so I'll suggest we just leave this for a few days till we switch to the new store (running on Shopify). I'll endeavour to get BOMs, dimensions and build guide links in to the product descriptions ASAP.

On the F5 board page of your store, the schematic that is linked to labels the resistors differently than on this new version of the boards. The boards are labelled per the F5 Turbo schematic, so that is the schematic which should be linked to on the store page, not the schematic labelled as per the original F5.

Until this is corrected, some people, myself included, will populate the new boards incorrectly, and end up having to remove components, potentially damaging the board or the components in the process.

I sent feedback about this to customer service several weeks ago, but so far nothing has been done to correct this on the site.

Hi Shoom. Please email Customer Service . Include your full name (as in the shipping details) and order number. Thanks.

Thanks help desk

The mystery is solved.:D

It seems that the USPS ‘’delivered’’ tracking flag really means delivered to the local courier and not delivered to me.

I had the usual amount of slowness from Royal mail who thought that I’d like my parcel keeping safe over Xmas and the New Year. They were even possessive enough to not allow me to collect it but after 3 visits to the sorting office and getting on my knees to beg, they finally allowed me the supreme privilege of paying customs charges and having the nice BA-3 FE boards and matched Jfets.:D:D

Top marks to you for the speedy shipping and great wrapping. Also USPS deserves a pat on the back for their efforts to get my parcel shipped in good time.:cool:

Royal mail

Well the usual poor service I’m afraid.:(

Soldering iron warming as we speak.

Thanks again for the lovely board and Jfets.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Wanted to check out what buying a 4U chassis would cost me, and got a nasty surprise.

Description Price
Subtotal $ 319.00
Shipping $ 1,000,000.00
Taxes $ 0.00
Total USD $ 1,000,319.00

:p

There's a few use-cases where we need to send you information about shipping other than Shopify telling you "No shipping could be calculated". For these events, shipping is set to 1,000,000 so you don't actually place the order, and informational or instructional text is displayed right next to it. The Shipwire API doesn't allow you to pass information back in any other way, nor add hyperlinks to the text displayed. In your case you saw a message about us not having shipping rates for South Africa. You also got sent an email saying such, an email was dispatched to myself and to Hifi2000, and in the last few hours, shipping rates for South Africa have been added to our system.

It's quite painstaking and complicated to research, calculate and add new shipping rates so we're doing it case by case. There are around 200 countries so we're doing it in an organic way.

No online shopping cart is perfect, and this is most definitely a hack, but I think it works for the purpose.

Thanks Jason

I myself set up Prestashop for a friend a while ago and understand the frustration of the shipping modules. My post was put up half in jest and halve in getting your attention for our use case scenario. I was not aware that you would have received an e-mail.

But on behalf of all DIYAudio users here I give my thanks for your speedy action.

:)