• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Genalex KT-88 reissue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just a hint for us here, when we feel like spending. I sell no tubes.

The new Genalex KT-88 from Russia is THE best KT-88 I have ever used. And I have used all. I don't have the NOS GEC in hand to do an A/B right now, but my aural memory (notoriously unreliable) tells me that the reissue is in the same class or (heresy? never mind) a bit better! Its expensive for a Saratov tube, but I feel they are not selling snake oil in this case. The tone is clear as a bell with no harshness and consistent from bottom to top octave. Its more together, present, and rhythmic than the others. It's an effect like when the source signal gets significantly clearer and more informative, riding along more coherent and transparent.

Here's a pic of the new Genalex KT-88 on my amp.

Attachments

• gl88.jpg
    gl88.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 375
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have Harmonix KT-88 and yes they do it. The Genalex from same factory don't. They only give the very faintest idea of maybe there is some, as a halo haze around and under the mica at their top. The Harmonix blue glow, means less perfect pumping, and a more reactive glass surface. You can find in Svetlana too. The Lion has much more and better gettering and glass. The Harmonix is top value with reminiscent tone of the Lion but grayer and less informative. They can also buzz mechanically at 60/50Hz as they age.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had the same fear of a tarted up Harmonix, but the performance is clearly better, and that must have roots to better cathode chemistry, metal, glass, and process. The internal shapes are the same. As for the blue glow, I have only seen my matched quartet alive, and it has not. If anyone has seen more and that is true for all Lions, it will be good to contribute info here.

I've sold about 500 of them, and there has yet to be a single person who wasn't thrilled. I'm not kidding, the feedback is that good on them.

Internally the splash shield is supported differently, and the shield itself (right under the top getter) is different too. But otherwise they are identical looking inside.

But a lot of very different tubes look alike - it's what you can't see that is different. For the Genalex they used gold plated grid wire and cabonized screen wire too, and probably some other "exotic" techniques.

The bottom line - it's a KILLER tube! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.